Thread: GPIO Activation and Relays

Post Thanks / Like

Default GPIO Activation and Relays

I'm wondering if a script has ever been written for FPP to send a signal to a relay board which would in turn activate the relay at a specific time? I've got some static lights that would like to run on a timer. Thought rather than buying an actual timer, couldn't I just use FPP to activate one of it's GPIO pins which would be connected to my sainsmart relays. Just a thought. If it's not that fine too, a simple timer will work as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: GPIO Activation and Relays

Try these videos from the falconchristmas website. It should help. https://vimeo.com/179851601
    And
    https://vimeo.com/179851623

Post Thanks / Like

That was perfect. Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

I got the FPP working properly. It outputs 3.3volts when turned on and 0 when turned off. The issue comes when I plug it in to my relay board. It is a sainsmart 16 channel relay board. I connect to the input pin on the relay board but the moment I plug the ground to it, it triggers the relay, even if the voltage is at 0. I thought that maybe there was a short in the wire but I have tested and retested and it all comes out good. I read somewhere to hook the 5 volt output on the pi to the 5 volt output on the relay board, but hooking two outputs together seem like a horrible idea.

Post Thanks / Like

Try the Invert option on the FPP GPIO channel output and see if it makes the relay act correctly.

Post Thanks / Like

Tried it and got the same results.

Post Thanks / Like

You may need to add a transistor to sink the current if your relay is active low. Some users have been able to make it work with the Pi without any extea components but there are a lot of Pi users out on the internet who have posted sample circuits of how to get active low relay boards to work with the Pi so it seems to be a YMMV situation.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll have to do some searching. Guess I'll give up on it for this season. Deal with it when I bring everything in after the holidays.