Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ESPixelSticks and Multicast

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ESPixelSticks and Multicast

Multicast enhancement is in the Unifi Controller under settings / Wireless Networks / Advanced. It's the last checkbox in that section. I generally avoid doing anything on the UniFi devices with the shell. I try to stick with the controller only. It seems to be more reliable.

I wouldn't necessarily expect a correlation between the lag and which device's web interface is open, but rather that any unicast connection is happening on the wifi network. It's the Unicast packets that will queue up in the AP's buffer and will cause the all of the multicast data to wait till that queue clears or expires. This is also related to isolating the show network to only ESP devices. It ensures it's doing only what we can predict. Furthermore wireless devices like smartphones and tablets will usually force the AP into a slower beacon mode that will exacerbate the issue.

The GECE lag seems to be unrelated to WiFi. I've been running a test firmware for the past few days that seems to make that perform better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    Multicast enhancement is in the Unifi Controller under settings / Wireless Networks / Advanced. It's the last checkbox in that section. I generally avoid doing anything on the UniFi devices with the shell. I try to stick with the controller only. It seems to be more reliable.
    Found it...I didn't have that option in my controller (version 5.5.24), but once I upgraded to the latest (5.6.22), that option appeared for me. It's disabled...now...I wonder if it actually was before. I will switch back to the UniFi AP later tonight and give it another go. I was mostly using the CLI on the AP directly to verify settings, didn't actually make any changes there.

I wouldn't necessarily expect a correlation between the lag and which device's web interface is open, but rather that any unicast connection is happening on the wifi network. It's the Unicast packets that will queue up in the AP's buffer and will cause the all of the multicast data to wait till that queue clears or expires. This is also related to isolating the show network to only ESP devices. It ensures it's doing only what we can predict. Furthermore wireless devices like smartphones and tablets will usually force the AP into a slower beacon mode that will exacerbate the issue.
    Good points. I hadn't considered the implications of mixing mutlicast and unicast traffic, but that makes sense. I'll make sure to keep my wifi ESP-only.

The GECE lag seems to be unrelated to WiFi. I've been running a test firmware for the past few days that seems to make that perform better.
    Yeah, I saw the thread about a test firmware version to help with that. Upgrading is on my to-do list.

Post Thanks / Like

I ran into a similar situation about a month ago. It wasn't in my older controller version either. And upgrading my controller reset everything to default and I had to rebuild my whole config from scratch. That was an afternoon I hadn't planned on. It seems ok now though.

Making the network dedicated to ESPs isn't strictly necessary. But it sure makes troubleshooting easier, and eliminates variables. I've found that having the websockets connection open to one ESPixelStick can cause AP buffering and they all lag a bit. That being said, I have two FPPs and one security camera on the show access point. Those don't seem to be introducing any lag. One of the FPPs is just listening for multicast sACN, so it's mostly just the same as an ESP. But the remote FPP and security camera certainly are getting/sending unicast data.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I broke down and picked up an Ubiquiti NanoStation Loco M2, since it looks like a lot of folks where having good luck with that particular unit, and switched over to it last night. Everything seems to be much happier now, though the whole show has a couple seconds of lag compared to my FM broadcast when running off Xschedule, and the GECEs on my roof were a little spotty. I've just finished upgrading the firmware on the GECE sticks to the test version and will diagnose the lag issue separately.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you really experiencing a couple of seconds of lag? That would be totally unusable. A few frames of lag would still be worth tweaking, but would be a show that actually looks like a show. If you're really experiencing a few seconds of lag, you must have some big problems somewhere in your network.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    Are you really experiencing a couple of seconds of lag? That would be totally unusable. A few frames of lag would still be worth tweaking, but would be a show that actually looks like a show. If you're really experiencing a few seconds of lag, you must have some big problems somewhere in your network.
    Yeah, the lag is really strange. I'm running Xchedule in a Win 7 Ultimate x64 VM on my proxmox server (with one of those $6 Chinese DSP PLL FM transmitters) with the AP and VM connected to the same (enterprise-grade) switch on the same VLAN, so I would not expect the network itself to be the issue (maybe the VM somehow? but the rest of the VM network stuff seems fine). I'm going to test with FPP and Xlights directly in the next day or two, but something is definitely off somewhere. But at least my multicast is happy

Post Thanks / Like

I know very little about xSchedule. But I'd put my money on the VM being a problem. VMs are not particularly good at time sensitive tasks

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I tried a little earlier this evening and xLights does the same thing on my desktop workstation (which is not a VM) when outputting to lights, so it might be something else going on. *sigh*

Post Thanks / Like

I am also having a problem with XLights. Similar to yours.
    Inventor of the "LED Keeper"

My Videos [URL="http://www.vimeo.com/Dennischerry"]www.vimeo.com/Dennischerry[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Could it be the cheap chinese FM transmitter??

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast