Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SSRez in the news - again!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: SSRez in the news - again!!!

I think I have every SSR out there. But I only use SSRez and SSRneon-G2 (not the led version). If this wireless controller will dim and fit the lid of the ta200 they are currently in. I'd have some interest. I use them for a sea of candy canes. And a few other things.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    2009 - 48 channel MegaTree 4800 lights
    plus 3200 lights static display.
    2010 - 6 Snowflakes on heavy equipment stored in front yard :-(
    2011 - 72 channel Megatree 7520 lights,
    120 channel total about 10k lights total

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Brian -- it rests on top of the SSR (which is mounted on the bottom half of the TA-200) and you can still close the lid. The layout is electrically inert for the SSRez and SSRhc since they share the same footprint/component layout. The SSR neon however, has a different component layout and once we verify that this design works (it will -- we just are waiting on parts for exact location measurement), we'll move things around so they'll be safe for the SSR neon, too. The BOM for either design will be the same -- only the PCBs will be different.

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store is closed for all sales. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the years!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

Here you go, folks.... the SSRez/SSRhc Wi-Fi Adapter wirks guuuuuuud and fits neatly inside the TA-200 case.

No boards or kits in the store yet -- it's a 2018 project.

But the assembly & user guide is already complete, and you can download it from the store: http://digwdf.com/store/product.php?id_product=266

(Ukewarrior -- we'll take a look at the SSRNeon's layout now that prototyping is done and tested....)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dirknerkle; 12-19-2017 at 01:16 PM.

The DIGWDF Store is closed for all sales. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the years!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Beans !
    Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post
    Here you go, folks.... the SSRez/SSRhc Wi-Fi Adapter wirks guuuuuuud and fits neatly inside the TA-200 case.

No boards or kits in the store yet -- it's a 2018 project.

But the assembly & user guide is already complete, and you can download it from the store: http://digwdf.com/store/product.php?id_product=266

(Ukewarrior -- we'll take a look at the SSRNeon's layout now that prototyping is done and tested....)

Post Thanks / Like

While I don't have an actual SSRneon for testing, I printed out the SSRneon's PCB layout PDFs and mounted them in TA-200 for measurement.

It looks like the Wi-Fi adapter will work as-is if:

** the SSRneon's board is lowered in the TA-200 case a bit by cutting about 1/4" off the internal standoffs. This is a minor mounting change and shouldn't have any effect on the SSRneon's performance whatsoever.

** the Wi-Fi adapter is rotated 180 so the adapter's notch is above the SSRneon's RJ45 jack. It's close enough so that the cable will fit through the notch. I'll see if I can nudge the voltage regulator and power buck over just a bit to be helpful there but I think it'll still work as is...

** a layer of insulation is inserted between the adapter and the SSRneon so the TRIAC tabs or the fuse clips can't touch the bottom of the adapter. A square of simple cardboard or coroplast ought to work fine.

I think the above adaptations for the SSRneon are easy enough to do and eliminate the need for an alternate PCB design.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dirknerkle; 12-19-2017 at 02:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

So what is used to communicate to these controllers? I currently have a couple Renard 64s in use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NDNS00ner View Post
    So what is used to communicate to these controllers? I currently have a couple Renard 64s in use.
    The WiFi adaptor has a pic onboard so it is it's own controller. Send show data out your pc by WiFi and this picks it up. All you need is power at the ta200. Dirk please correct me if needed and the neon you used is the version I use, thanks.

2009 - 48 channel MegaTree 4800 lights
    plus 3200 lights static display.
    2010 - 6 Snowflakes on heavy equipment stored in front yard :-(
    2011 - 72 channel Megatree 7520 lights,
    120 channel total about 10k lights total

Post Thanks / Like

I see 8 channel outputs on the board, could this control 2 SSREZs? or is it more like the renstick where you jumper the output to the channel?
    Flash Flash Blink Blink,,Oh What A Relief It Is

Post Thanks / Like

Can I use my PI instead of a PC? I already have cords frozen in inch thick ice and would love to switch to wireless.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skunberg View Post
    The WiFi adaptor has a pic onboard so it is it's own controller. Send show data out your pc by WiFi and this picks it up. All you need is power at the ta200. Dirk please correct me if needed and the neon you used is the version I use, thanks.

Hi, Brian. I used the version G2 that's in the Wiki. AFAIK that's the most recent version, is it not?

Quote Originally Posted by mikel3332 View Post
    I see 8 channel outputs on the board, could this control 2 SSREZs? or is it more like the renstick where you jumper the output to the channel?
    It uses the PIC16F1825 chip which is a full 8-channels. However, the SSR is only 4 channels, so its primary function is to service the SSR inside the TA-200 case. It has the additional channel pins so that (if you wanted) you could use jumper wires to the channel, or you could attach a cat5 cable to them and yes, run that out to another SSRez (or SSRhc or SSRneon). Bear in mind that the TA-200 case isn't blessed with an overabundance of interior space, so don't let your ideas get too grandiose. Yes, it *can* work electrically but as a practical issue, I don't know whether it will be easy to fish all those things around inside without putting undue pressure on the boards and components that will be inside the TA-200. I guess what I'm saying is that it's difficult to pour 12 ounces into a 10-ounce glass... (BTW, RenStick can do the same thing with another DC SSR....)

Quote Originally Posted by NDNS00ner View Post
    Can I use my PI instead of a PC? I already have cords frozen in inch thick ice and would love to switch to wireless.....
    Wireless opens a lot of doors. A Pi is a PC as well -- it's just not your desktop. A Pi wired to a wireless access point and sending out the data through the AP should work fine. Remember, it's Wi-Fi, which means you need a wireless network on which to run it, and the best performance happens when the computer sending the data is wired to the access point so that the AP does all the communication with the remotes. If the AP has to first receive a wireless signal and re-transmit it out to all the other stations you're sure to get some serious lag in there somewhere along the way and you wouldn't be a happy camper...

While wireless opens doors, it also will present you with situations that are sometimes difficult to address and/or fix. We live in a connected world and everybody and their dog (literally -- you can put a wireless locator on your dog!) has connectivity. This means there are a lot of radios out there that all have to use the same channel space in the 2.4ghz frequency spectrum. Last time I ran a site survey from my AP mounted on the front of my house I found 53 networks. It's literally true: "We are not alone!" Wireless may work fantastic for your buddy who lives a few blocks away at the end of a cul-de-sac but terrible for you because you're in the middle of the block amidst a flock of teenagers and their cell phones.
    Last edited by dirknerkle; 12-19-2017 at 07:57 PM.

11. Thanks mikel3332 thanked for this post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast