Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SSRez in the news - again!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default SSRez in the news - again!!!

Hold onto your hats, sports fans... it's an all-new inning!

The engineers have been working on an idea that they think might have some traction, and if you have any SSRez's in your show, or stowed-away in a box in the attic, you're gonna want to pay attention -- especially if those SSRez's are in TA-200 boxes!

Why? The boys have worked-up a drop-in PCB adapter that turns the popular and venerable SSRez into a complete, 4-channel Wi-Fi controller! And even better, we're talking about the cost of roughly $12.50 to build it! They don't have a final price yet but that's their target for a pre-order program to be launched early in 2018.

Anybody interested? Here's a way to take some solid but older gear that you think has no use anymore and do some really good stuff with it. You could control blow molds with it, motorized props (no dimming!), display pieces, the light on your tune-to sign, or more.

And all along we thought the DIGWDF engineers were done for the year.... Those guys never sleep!!! The boys are waiting for a couple parts to build a prototype, but here's a quick look-see at the PCB:
    Attached Images Attached Images

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store will be closing at the end of this year.
    While it's still open, please check us out for blinky-flashy gizmos that nobody else on the planet makes!

2. Likes scootchu, GWOOLSEY56 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: SSRez in the news - again!!!

PM sent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post
    The boys have worked-up a drop-in PCB adapter that turns the popular and venerable SSRez into a complete, 4-channel Wi-Fi controller! And even better, we're talking about the cost of roughly $12.50 to build it! They don't have a final price yet but that's their target for a pre-order program to be launched early in 2018.
    I assume this is for static lights?

Post Thanks / Like

SSRez is an AC dimmer. This is a complete Ren4 with WiFi interface. I would take a few (3-4)

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    SSRez is an AC dimmer. This is a complete Ren4 with WiFi interface. I would take a few (3-4)
    I think that once users experience the relative ease of using wireless in their displays, they may tend to put some of the standard, cat-5 type controllers on the shelf. Personally, I find tremendous value in small-channel-count controllers because they afford pinpoint control of props. And with the advent of the ESP module, making an A/C SSR become a fully standalone controller is quite affordable and makes a lot of sense. It opens the door for using some commercial, normally static props that those who have computer animated displays generally shy away from. Having AC control offers the option of expanding one's display in some unexpected directions -- and very possibly to include a neighbor's display in the process.

This little adapter is all about the possibilities, and limited only by one's imagination....

While it's still open, please check us out for blinky-flashy gizmos that nobody else on the planet makes!

Post Thanks / Like

Dave,
    you are killing me my friend.
    No support for the SSRNeon ! Ouch. I'm feelin rejected.

all kidding aside, I agree with you about AC dimmers and exposing them to the ESP revolution.
    Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post
    Hold onto your hats, sports fans... it's an all-new inning!

The engineers have been working on an idea that they think might have some traction, and if you have any SSRez's in your show, or stowed-away in a box in the attic, you're gonna want to pay attention -- especially if those SSRez's are in TA-200 boxes!

Why? The boys have worked-up a drop-in PCB adapter that turns the popular and venerable SSRez into a complete, 4-channel Wi-Fi controller! And even better, we're talking about the cost of roughly $12.50 to build it! They don't have a final price yet but that's their target for a pre-order program to be launched early in 2018.

Anybody interested? Here's a way to take some solid but older gear that you think has no use anymore and do some really good stuff with it. You could control blow molds with it, motorized props (no dimming!), display pieces, the light on your tune-to sign, or more.

And all along we thought the DIGWDF engineers were done for the year.... Those guys never sleep!!! The boys are waiting for a couple parts to build a prototype, but here's a quick look-see at the PCB:

Post Thanks / Like

I'm definitely interested. I'm now almost 100% pixel but have a few AC items that would be nice to integrate (tune to sign, some cheap snowfall tubes, etc).
    Keith

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ukewarrior View Post
    Dave,
    you are killing me my friend.
    No support for the SSRNeon ! Ouch. I'm feelin rejected.

all kidding aside, I agree with you about AC dimmers and exposing them to the ESP revolution.
    Awwww geeez, David -- you know I can't control those clowns that work in the DIGWDF lab!

Actually, I've looked at the SSRNeon and once we've settled-in on this version, we plan to make an SSRNeon version as well. The two boards can share the parts but because the physical layout of the parts on the SSRNeon differ from the SSRez, some things need to be moved around.

But since this is a 2018 project, we have plenty of time to make it work and I'm confident that it's going to work well, so I'm trying to get a bit of a feeling on the level of interest because it's the difference between whether I run a pre-buy or alternately, fund the project myself and acquire all the parts for a bunch of kits on the bet that people will buy them. Sometimes the "interest" expressed in a future product doesn't translate into actual sales when later, it comes time to cough up the cash. The alternative to a pre-buy is of course a guesstimate as to how many kits to make, and you never know if a person that has 24 SSRezs suddenly decides to convert them all and wham! -- you're suddenly out of stock with just one customer. It's impossible to gauge sales because of it and the only sensible thing is to limit your personal financial exposure, make a few kits and possibly be out of stock most of the time. On the other hand, running a pre-buy is generally a PITA and takes up a lot of your time. Oh well, we'll see where it goes...

Post Thanks / Like

I have 32 ssrez boards I never got around to touching. I hope you consider offering your new item with an option to include the ssrez bom

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cmitcham View Post
    I have 32 ssrez boards I never got around to touching. I hope you consider offering your new item with an option to include the ssrez bom
    Ouch -- the SSRez was a radiant-holidays product. I don't think Chris would be too happy with that. I suggest you contact him directly -- he can probably cut you a sweet deal!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast