Thread: What the Heck is This I am doing?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What the Heck is This I am doing?

Sorry, I have read the other posts and am more confused than ever. I have already hung nearly 6000 pixels across 6 e682s and now that I want to hook up this Renard Plus TR-8/Flex I am totally baffled.
    All this talk of Pic programming, Hex this and that, baud rate....I am mind blown!
    I thought that the Renard boards were plug and play into the e682 since it runs Renard protocol but I suppose I am wrong.

Can someone please lay it out for me what in the world I need to do to get this board to work with my e682?

Thanks
    Tyson

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What the Heck is This I am doing?

The TR8 flex does not come pre-programmed with firmware. You need to flash the PIC chip on the TR8's board with the correct Renard firmware for it to execute the Renard protocol. Right now the chip is blank. It can also be flashed with DMX firmware instead. Because of the multiple ways the TR8 can be used, it doesn't come pre-flashed with firmware.

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store is closed for all sales. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the years!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

Which would be the easiest? I am thinking DMX? How to I go about loading it. The manual from the website might as well be written in Chinese.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what manual to which you're referring, but the Renard-Plus manuals are extremely well done. It is not difficult to flash the chips in DIY controllers, but it does take a bit of know-how which is also easy to acquire. It's a skill that ranks very, very high on the list of skills the DIY'er needs to have in the blinky-flashy hobby.

Here's a link to the TR8 Flex manual, and it contains some information about the firmware

http://renard-plus.com/files/Renard_...Flex_v1_09.pdf

Here's a link to the PIC Programming Guide for Renard-Plus products, and it outlines quite clearly the hardware you need to flash a Microchip PIC and other options:

http://renard-plus.com/files/Pic%20P...ng%20Guide.pdf

The Renard-Plus products are well-supported by multiple DIY'ers both here and at diychristmas.org (the green site). If you want specific technical questions answered, the right person to contact is Phoenix, and you can find him there as well.

I can't answer whether Renard or DMX is "better" or "easier." Since you're connecting the TR8 off of another controller, that question is something you'll have to answer for yourself. Either would work fine, but one may be easier for you than the other.

Good luck. May the Schwartz be with you.

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store is closed for all sales. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the years!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

24173683_10210363103980929_1814226148241753505_o.jpg

Thanks for the help. I am trying my darndest to get this Renard board working but it's past me. I loaded it with the RPTR8FlexSSRDMX hex firmware and that seemed to take just fine.
    I wired a output on my e682 for ground, D-, D+.
    All that happens is there is 8v sitting on the outputs no matter what. I tried testing the controller in full white but nothing changes.
    The ZC and HB lights just flash all the time. Not the RX light. My e682 is set to output Renard 8 channels.
    Here are the pics.