Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pi Zero W

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pi Zero W

Noob here. Been gathering parts and building props for the past couple of years but this is the year. Did a bunch of research and am getting ready to put up my first light display. I wanted to run FPP on a Raspberry Pi. I have both the Pi 3 and Pi Zero W. Will FPP run on Pi Zero W? I am using it to run a few Renard SS24 units sequencing via Vixen 3 and exporting to FPP. No pixels but the lights are LED. Still finishing up some sequencing but channel count will not go past 120. Any help or advice is most welcome. The lights will go up this weekend with a goal of having it all wired up and run a few test sequenced by Sunday evening.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pi Zero W

Quote Originally Posted by prkid424 View Post
    Noob here. Been gathering parts and building props for the past couple of years but this is the year. Did a bunch of research and am getting ready to put up my first light display. I wanted to run FPP on a Raspberry Pi. I have both the Pi 3 and Pi Zero W. Will FPP run on Pi Zero W? I am using it to run a few Renard SS24 units sequencing via Vixen 3 and exporting to FPP. No pixels but the lights are LED. Still finishing up some sequencing but channel count will not go past 120. Any help or advice is most welcome. The lights will go up this weekend with a goal of having it all wired up and run a few test sequenced by Sunday evening.

Thanks
    FPP will run on a Pi Zero, but you need to set it up on the Pi3 and then transfer both the SD and usb to the Zero. You'll also need a usb to micro usb adapter for your usb drive to connect to the Pi Zero. I run FPP on Pi Zero & W's for 2X2 P10 panels. sync Pi3 to Pi Zero W wirelessly.
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Why do you need to set it up on a Pi3 first?

Post Thanks / Like

Actually you can do without, provided you have the other adapters.

Pi Zero doesnít have an Ethernet port to setup WiFi. If you have a micro usb hub, and a usb to Ethernet adapter, then you can do without a full Pi
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried the above setup on the pi 3. All works well on the pi3 but once I transfer the sd and usb drive to the pi zero w it won't recognize the IP Address. This was string with 1.8 down load and updating to 1.9 then 1.10.

Thanks. Chris.

Post Thanks / Like

Were you using eth0 or wlan0 on the Pi3? You need to have the wireless (wlan0) setup for the Pi Zero W to connect.
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I set up as wlan0. Put the IP In IE and it worked. Did the same once in the pi zero w. No go.

Post Thanks / Like

May not be the issue, but I find FPP doesnít work best in IE. Iím now using Foxfire.
    I have Pi Zero W running wlanO without issues.
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

did you set it w/ a static IP or DHCP? Was eth0 still connected when you tested wlan0 and were they the same subnet?
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help so far.

The wlna0 was set to static, the Eth0 was set to DHCP but was not connected when trying to access(but I guess they would be on the same subnet). This how it has been working on the pi3 so far. I did try firefox and have the same issue.
    I might try to get my hands on a micro usb to Ethernet cable and try it that way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast