Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PIC programming using MPLAB software

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PIC programming using MPLAB software

Quote Originally Posted by gmbartold View Post
    The video's are excellent. I purchased a microlab pickit 2 last year as a backup but never learned how to use it until now. I would like you guys to think for a minute that you know nothing about electronics & programming & software & code & etc. etc. You open the box and look at all the cool stuff. You have 3 disks, MPLAB v8.60, PICkit Starter Kit, and a small disk from Joshua 1. Next I find a piece of paper that says IMPORTANT INFORMATION "Read First". It basically says to go to microchip.com for the latest software. I go there and spent an hour searching for the MPASMWIN & PICKIT 2 Program, finding only frustration. Little did I know that the MPASMWIN program was incorporated in the MPLAB IDE program. I too, didn't know where to put the jumpers on the board but thanks of Ole Man Mike's pdf in post 1 on his first page told you about the jumpers. I would like to suggest that links to the software be added before the video's or at least inform an inexperience person (me) what software to load into his computer. For many of us, programming a chip is a new, first time experience.

So...............there I was following the video,s exactly as illustrated. Hit the pause button many times to make sure that I was doing it right. Finally the chip was verified. Now the big test, I installed the my prize chip into a RenSS16 controller. Turned it on and..................it worked! I sat back in my chair with a sign of relieve and said: That was easy!
    Thanks for the video's

BTW in the Wiki the two links in this line needs updating "This is a series of videos on "How to program a PIC" using a Microchip Programmer hosted by Do It Yourself Christmas Forum"
    Regards,
    Gary
    Gary, That's GREAT! I am glad they helped. I will add the software suggestions you mentioned. PM me with anymore suggestions that may be useful.

Where are the wiki links that need updated located?
    James Family Christmas - 1600 channels of SS Renard channels
    Website - http://jamesfamilychristmas.com/ <<broken
    Facebook - James Family Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

Wayne and All...
    Has anyone put together a "how to" for the PICKit 3 and Microchip's new software? I believe it is MPLAB X IDE v1.95.
    (I'm lost, and I can't get up!)
    Live, Laugh, Love.

3. Thanks kmalsom thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've reverted to version 8.92 of MPLAB. Was unable to find the stand-a-lone compiler Wayne J has in his videos.
    Hopefully I've found all the buttons, but until I can get the e1.31 bridge working, I don't know if the PICs flashed correctly.
    Any hints of what to look for would be most appreciated.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

There are times one should get a full nights sleep before doing anything with this high-tech-stuff.

The software to make the hex file was there all along, as was pointed out in this thread and the videos.

Good stuff, and works with the PicKit3 as well. Over 45 Pic Chips have been "imaged" and not one has failed (knock on wood).

Thanks to all for your support.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12