Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Channel String Max Question(s)/Discovery...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Channel String Max Question(s)/Discovery...

Snubbers tend to get warm while in use. It is the function of the resistor that causes this. Just make sure the mount you use, whether you seal it in epoxy or have it inside a plug, has some open air to bleed off some of that heat.

BTW - thanks for bringing back memories of the "early years" when we all did a lot of this. I'm "reverting" in a lot of respects and it is good to hear others going through this all.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algerdes View Post
    Snubbers tend to get warm while in use. It is the function of the resistor that causes this. Just make sure the mount you use, whether you seal it in epoxy or have it inside a plug, has some open air to bleed off some of that heat.

BTW - thanks for bringing back memories of the "early years" when we all did a lot of this. I'm "reverting" in a lot of respects and it is good to hear others going through this all.
    OH, I'm completely 'old school' when it comes to the lighting. I never got into the pixels and all of that stuff. I haven't really changed my show much in years and I'm actually scaling back. I just couldn't take the annoying effect or lack of a good fade.

I just have to figure out, if I fill it with silicone, how to keep a gap open for air.
    As always, Thanks for any info!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak3 View Post
    I just have to figure out, if I fill it with silicone, how to keep a gap open for air.
    No air gap needed. The silicone will transfer the heat to the shell, where it should dissipate into the surrounding air.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algerdes View Post
    No air gap needed. The silicone will transfer the heat to the shell, where it should dissipate into the surrounding air.
    Thanks everyone for all of the help. I guess I have to run out and get some silicone. Too bad acrylic caulk with silicone wouldn't work as I have a ton of that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak3 View Post
    When you say make sure the entire plug has good ventilation, do you mean that the plug is not enclosed and is exposed to air or are you saying the internal parts are ventilated. That's where I was confused, I thought filling with silicone would hurt the ventilation.

Oh, and the plugs actually came in today and this mechanism seems to work!! The fades are good, across 10 strings at least!!
    If the guts of the plug are a solid block of epoxy, then the heat from the resistor gets transferred through the epoxy to the plastic that makes up the plug. Make sure the outside of the plug has good air flow.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    If the guts of the plug are a solid block of epoxy, then the heat from the resistor gets transferred through the epoxy to the plastic that makes up the plug. Make sure the outside of the plug has good air flow.
    Yep, the plugs should be good for heat transfer as they'll just be swinging in the breeze at the end of a length of strings.

Epoxy vs Silicone, a better choice or function the same?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm late to this but you might want to try adding the resistor to the output of the controller or at the beginning of the string instead of the end of the string, My problem was my led strings would not go completely off after show or in between songs. Not sure if fade was a problem or not but I don"t thing so. I added the 47k ohm 1 watt resistor to the output of controller and problem solved.
    Rayhjr I Love This Stuff!

Post Thanks / Like

In my experience, epoxy has better heat transfer characteristics. Silicon tends to be a heat insulator and what you want is a heat conductor.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rayhjr View Post
    I'm late to this but you might want to try adding the resistor to the output of the controller or at the beginning of the string instead of the end of the string, My problem was my led strings would not go completely off after show or in between songs. Not sure if fade was a problem or not but I don"t thing so. I added the 47k ohm 1 watt resistor to the output of controller and problem solved.
    What do you mean add to the output of the controller? I'm plugging into a vampire male on my output pigtails. Could I have dealt with it there in some way.

I finished making the handful of snubbers I need, so I guess I'll just try at the end. It seemed OK at the end of my 10 string test run.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    In my experience, epoxy has better heat transfer characteristics. Silicon tends to be a heat insulator and what you want is a heat conductor.
    Do these get that hot that it really makes a difference? Just wondering as silicone is cheaper, but I guess if it could cause mass damage, no time to be cheap!!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast