Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zara Radio temperature announcement

Post Thanks / Like

Default Zara Radio temperature announcement

Since weather watcher pulled the plug a couple of years ago, is there anyone who has come up with anything else to use? I done quite a bit of google searching today and found some old post with a couple of .bat files that people tried to make work. I tried to follow a couple of them but got no where. I know there are a lot of people still using Zara radio and thought I would ask. I use the Zara radio before and after my show and use the time stamp and would like to get the weather back working.

Thanks

Wayne
    My winter hobby [url]www.buscochristmas.com[/url]
    My summer hobby [url]www.kriderracing.com[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Zara Radio temperature announcement

I used Weather Watcher with Zara Radio up till 2 years ago when I stopped doing my show because of health issues.

I see the Weather Watcher is still available thought with a subscription, so not sure if the new version will not integrate with Zara or what?

I will have to look at things and see as well I guess. Maybe shoot an email off to Mike Singer at Weather Watcher as well as to Zara Radio and see?

Post Thanks / Like

I just got an email back from Mike Singer and he says that he has a lot of people that are using Weather Watcher with Zara!
    I am going to install a new version of WW and Zara on this computer later on and see what happens with that.

I love both programs myself and want to keep using them together as well!

Post Thanks / Like

Bill
    Thanks for the info. I downloaded weather watcher and cannot get it to load up. If I remember right it kept giving me a server error. So did he say whether weather watcher is free? I quit using it a couple of years ago when they pulled the plug on it and if I remember right it became a subscription service.

Thanks for the info
    Wayne

Post Thanks / Like

No, it is a paid program now. I started with it quite a few years ago myself but just bought the program when it became a pay for one anyway.
    I think I will just get the lifetime subscription for it as it can be installed on up to 5 machines anyway.

I do really enjoy it and Zara together as they worked great for me and the show. I ran music and announcements during the day and then the show at night. I even used Zara during the summer to listen to songs to sequence while I worked around the yard and house. My neighbors loved the music during the day as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a link to my post at the "other site" I hope it makes sense I haven't looked at this for a long time and old age makes for short memory

https://www.diychristmas.org/vb1/sho...highlight=zara

This is what I posted I have been using this batch file for several years and it has worked flawlessly. You don't need to use bitsadmin.exe you can use wget for windows it is easier and has more uses and better documentation.
    Basically you download an rss file you can use task manager to do this automatically extract temperature and humidity as that is all Zara uses and put it in a compatible html file and point Zara at it.

The following is a copy and paste from my original post

OK I will post it here for all to see please note I am not a coder I google, copy, paste, and massage code to work for me. I am sure that any coder out there can find better ways of doing this.
    This is a Windows batch file (.bat) it uses a program called bitsadmin.exe that is available for windows developers for free just google it and download from microsoft website.
    I do not know how Zara parses the output file of weather watcher so I created a sudo file (Weather.html) and filled in what I could find in the RSS (XML) file I download. Some readings are static but the essential ones like observed and temperature and humidity are all updated every hour.
    I am in Canada so I use our governments weather webpage for my town, I have not looked to see if it has US towns on it. If you use it for another RSS feed you will have to change the code to work with their file.
    This works for me. I use Windows XP for my radio station but I have tested it on Windows 10 and it worked.
    Copy the code below into notepad and save to a new folder as weather.bat download bitsadmin.exe and copy just that file into the same folder. Test by opening a command prompt at that folder and run weather.bat it should create two files weather.xml and Weather.html. If all is ok open Zara and options THD and point to that folder and weather.html.
    Setup Task Manager to execute the file every hour.
    I hope this makes sense and helps gets you a solution that works for you. I also have a PHP file that works with the weather network but it is at work if any one is interested I can upload it tomorrow or if Jrd is around I PM'd him it earlier he could post if he wanted.
    OK Here You Go Copy From Line Below:

@echo off
    start /b /WAIT %~dp0bitsadmin.exe /transfer "JobName" http://Weather.gc.ca/rss/city/mb-38_e.xml %~dp0weather.xml

for %%a in (%~dp0Weather.xml) do (
    set "DaTe="
    set "Temper="
    set "Pres="
    set "Humdty="
    set "Humdex="
    set "Dew="
    set "Wind="
    set "Air="
    set "swap=Pressure / Tendency"

for /f "tokens=2,* " %%b in ( ' type "%%a" ^|findstr /i ""Observed"" ' ) do set DaTe="%%c"
    for /f "tokens=* " %%b in ( ' type "%%a" ^|findstr /i "Temperature:" ' ) do set Temper="%%b"
    for /f "tokens=* " %%b in ( ' type "%%a" ^|findstr /i "Tendency:" ' ) do set Pres="%%b"
    for /f "tokens=* " %%b in ( ' type "%%a" ^|findstr /i "Humidity:" ' ) do set Humdty="%%b"
    for /f "tokens=* " %%b in ( ' type "%%a" ^|findstr /i "Humidex:" ' ) do set Humdex="%%b"
    for /f "tokens=* " %%b in ( ' type "%%a" ^|findstr /i "Dewpoint:" ' ) do set Dew="%%b"
    for /f "tokens=* " %%b in ( ' type "%%a" ^|findstr /i "Wind:" ' ) do set Wind="%%b"
    for /f "tokens=* " %%b in ( ' type "%%a" ^|findstr /i "Quality" ' ) do set Air="%%b"
    )
    set DaTe=%DaTe:at:=%
    set Temper=%Temper:°=%
    set Dew=%Dew:°=%
    Set Pres=%Pres:Pressure / Tendency=Barometer%
    set DaTe=%Date:<b>=%
    set DaTe=%Date:</b>=%
    set Temper=%Temper:<b>=%
    set Temper=%Temper:</b>=%
    set Pres=%Pres:<b>=%
    set Pres=%Pres:</b>=%
    set Humdty=%Humdty:<b>=%
    set Humdty=%Humdty:</b>=%
    IF EXIST "%Humdex%"(sET Humdex=%Humdex:<b>=%)
    IF EXIST "%Humdex%"(set Humdex=%Humdex:</b>=%)
    set Dew=%Dew:<b>=%
    set Dew=%Dew:</b>=%
    set Wind=%Wind:<b>=%
    set Wind=%Wind:</b>=%
    set Air=%Air:<b>=%
    set Air=%Air:</b>=%

for /f "tokens=* delims=" %%P in ("<HTML>") do ( @echo %%P > %~dp0Weather.html)
    for /f "tokens=* delims=" %%P in ("Location: Nelson, Canada<BR />") do ( @echo %%P >> %~dp0Weather.html)
    for /f "tokens=* delims=" %%P in ("Condition: Sunny<BR />") do ( @echo %%P >> %~dp0Weather.html)
    for /f "tokens=* delims=" %%P in (%Temper%) do ( @echo %%P >> %~dp0Weather.html)
    for /f "tokens=* delims=" %%P in ("Feels Like: 5.6C<BR />") do ( @echo %%P >> %~dp0Weather.html)
    for /f "tokens=* delims=" %%P in (%Dew%) do ( @echo %%P >> %~dp0Weather.html)
    for /f "tokens=* delims=" %%P in (%Humdty%) do ( @echo %%P >> %~dp0Weather.html)
    for /f "tokens=* delims=" %%P in (%Wind%) do ( @echo %%P >> %~dp0Weather.html)
    for /f "tokens=* delims=" %%P in ("Visibility: 7.0 miles<BR />") do ( @echo %%P >> %~dp0Weather.html)
    for /f "tokens=* delims=" %%P in (%Pres%) do ( @echo %%P >> %~dp0Weather.html)
    for /f "tokens=* delims=" %%P in ("UV Index: 0 Low<BR />") do ( @echo %%P >> %~dp0Weather.html)
    for /f "tokens=* delims=" %%P in ("Sunrise: 4:55 AM<BR />") do ( @echo %%P >> %~dp0Weather.html)
    for /f "tokens=* delims=" %%P in ("Sunset: 8:38 PM<BR />") do ( @echo %%P >> %~dp0Weather.html)
    for /f "tokens=* delims=" %%P in ("<BR />") do ( @echo %%P >> %~dp0Weather.html)

rem echo %Humdex%>> %~dp0Weather.html
    rem echo %Air%>> %~dp0Weather.html
    rem echo "Barometer: 29.72 inches and steady<BR />">> %~dp0Weather.html

for /f "tokens=* delims=" %%P in ( %Date%) do ( @echo Observed %%P >> %~dp0Weather.html)
    for /f "tokens=* delims=" %%P in ("</HTML>") do ( @echo %%P >> %~dp0Weather.html)

Post Thanks / Like

Just as a follow up on my posting, here is the actual reply from Mike Singer that I received last night:

"
    Bill,

That poster is referring to the old free versions of Weather Watcher that no longer work. I didn't pull the plug on them. They stopped working due to changes made by the weather data provider (The Weather Channel). I'm assuming they don't like giving their weather data away for free (since they sell it to people like me).

Mike Singer
    Founder, Singer's Creations

www.SingersCreations.com

"
    I can see where the idea of "pulled the plug" came from but is not true. I certainly don't think that anyone can fault him or the program for having to pay for things.

I can't code or figure out much along those lines either so I usually just buy something if it works for me. The bat file idea that i_wannbe has posted looks kind of interesting though for someone who can figure things like this out!

Post Thanks / Like

I just went and installed the latest paid version of Weather Watcher along with Zara Radio on my computer here and it works just fine for importing the weather (time, temp, and humidity)!

Just wanted to let all know that it is working. May not be "free" but it works great for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply's. If I was going to use it more than 1 month out of the year I would buy a subscription.

Wayne

10. Likes TravCam liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Isn't the data available by RSS from the NOOA website?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast