Thread: Unpatching bug

Post Thanks / Like

Default Unpatching bug

I think I found a problem when unpatching elements.
    I had items patched to controllers from last year (was using a DMX bridge for Renard controllers and a few LEDs) and change them to my new controller this year (Falcon 16V3).

Steps that I took that recreated the problem:
    • Clicked on the element I wanted to unpatch (which has color handling)
    • Clicked "Unpatch Elements"
    • Asked "Some Elements are patched to filters. Should these filters be removed as well?"
    • Clicked NO.

>>Problem<< My total patch points goes down by a factor of 3. Or the number of items equals the total patch points.
    If I try and patch the element to the controller, the patch points is wrong.
    BUT...
    If before trying to patch the element to the controller:
    • Re-add the filter
    • It says that the filter already exist and if I want to rewrite it.
    • Clicked NO.

My total patch points go back up to the correct number and I am able to patch the elements with the color filter to the controller.

Will this bug kill my show? No, there is a work around. But it might be something to look at after we all get our shows up and running.
    [B][SIZE=3]2013 - First year[/SIZE][/B]
    ~2,500 Lights, 8 mini-trees (1 RenardSS24, 22 Channels) Using Vixen 3.0.10

[B][SIZE=3]2014 Goals/Additions:[/SIZE][/B]
    10' spiral tree controlled with 2 RenardSS24 (16 strands, 3 colors on each strand)
    Learn/play with RBG Pixels (potential RBG star for spiral tree)
    Learn/play with wireless/pixels to use with my other hobby, theatre.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Unpatching bug

That's not a bug. It's how it's supposed to work. If you were watching it in graphical view, it makes sense. Remember a typical patching operation isn't a element to controller channel path. It's an element, to filter, to controller channel path. Sometimes more than one filter in the middle. When you unpatch the elements, you're detaching them from anything downstream. That includes filters and controllers. So when you unpatched and left the filters, the filters are still attached to the controller channels. Your patch points went down to one per element because the selected elements are no longer connected to filters. When you reconfigured color handling, It found the existing filters that weren't attached to elements, since you opted to not create new ones, it reconnected to the old ones.
    Again, if you were doing this with a small number of elements (so you can actually see them), and watching it in graphical view, it would make a lot of sense how it's working.

The best practice here is that whenever you unpatch from the element side, you should also remove the filters. Then just re-add them before you patch to the controller channels. If you don't, you can end up with filters attached to controller channels you're no longer using.

The best way to do this though is to select the elements, then hit the button to find controller channels they're patched to. Then click the unpatch controller button (not the unpatch element button) This will keep the filters with the elements and detach the filters from the controller channels. Then select the new controller channels and simply hit patch. This way you don't need to reconfigure color handling.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Unpatching bug

Ohhh.... makes total sense. I had my blinders on trying to get everything tested that I totally didn't see the other button to unpatch controllers.
    [B][SIZE=3]2013 - First year[/SIZE][/B]
    ~2,500 Lights, 8 mini-trees (1 RenardSS24, 22 Channels) Using Vixen 3.0.10

[B][SIZE=3]2014 Goals/Additions:[/SIZE][/B]
    10' spiral tree controlled with 2 RenardSS24 (16 strands, 3 colors on each strand)
    Learn/play with RBG Pixels (potential RBG star for spiral tree)
    Learn/play with wireless/pixels to use with my other hobby, theatre.