Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can I make a Mega Tree with my existing Flag Pole (See Details)

Post Thanks / Like

Default How can I make a Mega Tree with my existing Flag Pole (See Details)

Hello Christmas people!

I have a 15' flag pole in my front yard. It is metal, fairly thin, and not SUPER sturdy. I am 6'4", and have a 7' step ladder. I can't reach the top of the flagpole and I have no idea if it's even possible to take it down. I want a static light mega tree (180 degrees). There is a cap on top of the pole, and an eye bolt through the pole to hold the rope for flags. Has anyone made a contraption for hoisting to the top of the flagpole on the rope line? If not, does anyone have any ideas for a topper I could make and how I could go about putting it on top (some sort of claw arm lol ?).

Interested in any ideas. I am not up for replacing the pole or purchasing a larger ladder (no one I know has one tall enough). Standing on the top rung, I am still about 2 feet short. The pole is DEFINITELY not secure or strong enough to lean a ladder against. I'm not sure what the radius of the pole is but I'd imagine I'd be about an inch or 2 shy from wrapping my whole hand around it. See my crude MS paint photos for examples of what I was thinking.

FlagHeight.png

TopperReach.png

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How can I make a Mega Tree with my existing Flag Pole (See Details)

Simple solution is to build a 2 1/2 Ft. temporary platform to put your ladder on .

Pickup truck bed comes in handy if you can get it close enough to the pole .

3. Thanks stryker14 thanked for this post
    Likes TravCam liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I doubt the pole is designed to support that much extra weight, especially not uniformly distributed (ie only on one side for the 180 tree). If it's not secure enough to lean a ladder against, I would doubt that it's strong enough to support LEDs pulling on one side.

5. Thanks stryker14 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A bit more optimistic here , Your pole will be fine .

I am 6'2" have a 23' tree pole with a 10 step and cannot reach the top .

3' is in the ground and I would not trust leaning a ladder against .

I drop a rope from the topper's back side to relieve the 180 stress .

I have seen some folks use a collar part way up their pole for guy wire anchoring .

You have many options .

Cheers

7. Thanks stryker14 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies guys. I hadn't even thought of putting a collar at a height I could reach. That's actually a fairly good idea if I find myself in a situation like this again. I went home yesterday with an idea or two in mind and I decided to see how much play was in the pole. After being able to turn it back and forth a few times it loosened up enough that I was actually able to pull it right out! So, I guess I don't need to bring anything to the top of the flagpole when I can bring the flagpole to me. I had tried lifting it out before but I guess it was too stuck until the turning loosened it. Thank you for the suggestions angus40. I guess I will just design a topper and hook all the lights on before I put the pole back up. I am actually SUPER excited about this because I thought about this last year and couldn't do it.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll post some pictures later but I just rebuilt my mega tree this year and used a new flag pole for it. At the top I removed the gold star and used the 1/2 in. hole where it came from to attach a long bolt. The bolt goes through a cheap circular tie rack which gives me 20 hooks for light strings and then it holds the star on top. It seems to be pretty sturdy so this season will tell. The pole is one of those telescoping ones so I can lower it to 5 feet, attach all the lights then just push it up and twist lock each section to my desired height. I got a 25 foot flagpole and am only using about 15 feet of it right now because I wanted the flexibility for future growth and also thought the strength would be better if each of the 5 sections were not fully extended. Cheers!
    Making it bright since 1989...

Post Thanks / Like

I had Boscoyo build me a custom tree topper for 32 strings. It's just a standard top with a different size hole. Worked like a charm. Fortunately I had purchased a pre made tree a while back for the flagpole. I just put the Boscoyo topper on and exchanged my Pixels with strips instead of their lights. The pre-made tree came with a base so I just used it instead of making a new one. The flagpole was made by Uncommon USA. I tried to ask if they would sell the tree kit without lights but never got an answer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scottmcm View Post
    The pole is one of those telescoping ones so I can lower it to 5 feet, attach all the lights then just push it up and twist lock each section to my desired height. Cheers!
    I have used one of these (actually on my second), and I will caution you that they will not hold under the weight of many strings. I drilled through mine under each joint and installed a D-ring to prevent it from collapsing.

Bruce

Post Thanks / Like

Is the pole the same diameter the whole way up?

If it is you could cut a circle out of either metal or wood, then cut the pole diameter in the middle, cut the whole thing in half. Then put it on the pole and use the rope to pull it up to the top. On the circle you would have hooks that would hold the lights on the end and you would pull up the circle piece and lights at the same time.

See image, its kind of hard to explain (the red line represents where you would cut it in half)

1.png
    2016 - 32 LOR Channels - Roughly 5,000 Lights
    2017 - 64 LOR Channels - Hoping for 10,000+ Lights

Christmas Lights On 16th Street - Facebook Page
    Christmas Lights On 16th Street - YouTube Page

13. Thanks stryker14 thanked for this post
    Likes stryker14 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

All kinds of good ideas here! Here is another thought... What about up grading the pole to something a bit stronger and re use the same hole? Ridged electrical conduit is very strong. Ether way I would defiantly add some guide wires to the pole and stake it down. I added four wires to my pole and can put ladder against it with out any issues.

Dale P.

15. Thanks stryker14 thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast