Thread: Simple way to use LOR sequences on Vixen 3

Post Thanks / Like

Default Simple way to use LOR sequences on Vixen 3

Can anyone explain in laymanís terms how to use the shared sequences on LOR in Vixen 3? I️ searched and couldnít find a clear answer. Thank you in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Simple way to use LOR sequences on Vixen 3

You don't. At least not easily. It wouldn't really save you any time or effort to start with a LOR file.

Vixen 3 only imports vixen 2 files. So you'd first need to get your LOR sequence into a vixen 2 format file. Then you could import it. Then after importing, you'd go thru the whole sequence and replace the simple placeholder effects and replace them with proper V3 effects.

Post Thanks / Like

You could use xlights to convert the LOR file, then export as Vixen 2 file. I've heard of other users doing this and it seemed to work ok.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    You don't. At least not easily. It wouldn't really save you any time or effort to start with a LOR file.

Vixen 3 only imports vixen 2 files. So you'd first need to get your LOR sequence into a vixen 2 format file. Then you could import it. Then after importing, you'd go thru the whole sequence and replace the simple placeholder effects and replace them with proper V3 effects.
    So basically youíre saying that itís probably just as easy to just do my own sequencing lol? I️ just started my first song last night and itís taking forever. I️ only have like 22 channels so it shouldnít be so hard but this is the first time Iíve ever done it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phrog30 View Post
    You could use xlights to convert the LOR file, then export as Vixen 2 file. I've heard of other users doing this and it seemed to work ok.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Sounds painful lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brant78 View Post
    So basically you’re saying that it’s probably just as easy to just do my own sequencing lol? I️ just started my first song last night and it’s taking forever. I️ only have like 22 channels so it shouldn’t be so hard but this is the first time I’ve ever done it.

It gets faster as you get better at it. But you should never expect it to be fast. at least 3-4 hours per finished minute is probably the norm.

James' method above would work, and is what I alluded to in my first response. But it creates quite a sloppy and inefficient V3 sequence when it's done. And if you're just getting started, it makes for a poor reference on what a good vixen sequence looks like.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    It gets faster as you get better at it. But you should never expect it to be fast. at least 3-4 hours per finished minute is probably the norm.

James' method above would work, and is what I alluded to in my first response. But it creates quite a sloppy and inefficient V3 sequence when it's done. And if you're just getting started, it makes for a poor reference on what a good vixen sequence looks like.

Got ya. Do you know where I️ could see an example of a good 24 channel A/C Vixen sequence?

Post Thanks / Like

"Good" is of course a relative term. But in general, you'd be using as few effects as possible to achieve the desired results. For example, use a chase when you want to chase a group rather than making a series of set levels or pulses on each child element. The old Vixen 2 paradigm is about setting values on each channel. The vixen 3 paradigm is painting effects in broad strokes across nested groups of elements.