Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do we need 100 channels for 100 ws2812b pixel icicles strands.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Do we need 100 channels for 100 ws2812b pixel icicles strands.

I am trying to cut ws2812b or ws2811 string to create icicles for external show.

Example:

8 pixels per strip
    100 strips

Does this mean that I need so many channels. Or is there a way to chain them and still use only 1 channel

If it's chained how to configure Vixen 3 to 1 output but detect as 100 strands.m

Kindly.help new to this field.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Do we need 100 channels for 100 ws2812b pixel icicles strands.

When you say channel are you talking about ports on a controller?

Or are you actually talking data channels? For any single pixel, you need the 3 channels of data so yes you would need in your case 2400 channels.

Post Thanks / Like

each pixel is 3 channels. One for red, one for green and one for blue. In general, you need 3 times as many channels as you have pixels. But channels are free, so why not use them?
    In your example, if you have 8 pixels per strip, and 100 strips, that's 800 pixels and 2400 channels.

If you're doing pixel icicles, especially when they're uniform length, you're actually making a grid. It'll be 8 pixels tall by 100 pixels wide. So in vixen, that's how you'd define it. Use a Pixel Grid when you're adding it. Make the strings vertical with a height of 8 and a width of 100.

Post Thanks / Like

Big Al makes a good point. Perhaps you're thinking of an output on a controller as a channel. In that case, technically you can run them all off of one output. You still need 2400 data channels, but that's not a problem for most pixel controllers.

In practice though, 800 pixels off a single output will start to look a bit laggy. I generally use a 600 limit as a rule of thumb. The more pixels on a string, the longer the time it takes to send data to all of them. And there's a point where it takes more time to update a whole string than there is time in a data frame in your sequence.

Post Thanks / Like

A Pixel requires 3 channel, Red, Green, Blue, so if you have 100 strips of 8 Pixels. or 800 pixels that would require 2400 channels, which are not the same as AC channels. You do connect them as long chains of lights but each pixel is individually controlled, You could run them on 3 or 4 outputs from any of the Pixel controllers available.
    Matt 2016, 1st Show

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SJBosco View Post
    I am trying to cut ws2812b or ws2811 string to create icicles for external show.

Example:

8 pixels per strip
    100 strips

Does this mean that I need so many channels. Or is there a way to chain them and still use only 1 channel

If it's chained how to configure Vixen 3 to 1 output but detect as 100 strands.m

Kindly.help new to this field.
    Yes, there is a way to CHAIN them so that they all can be controlled by one output (presuming this is what you mean when you say channel). I do think 800 pixels is probably too many on a single output, but generally, these can be chained:

At the "end" of your first icicle, you'll need to connect the DO (data-out) to the "start" of the next icicle DI (data-in).

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all for the response. All of you have cleared my incorrect assumptions.

I guess I made the basic mistake of channels with controller output. Also I never realised that we can use grid to solve the problem of chaining if I understood right.

However, I still have one doubt when using megatree.

My tree has 16 strings of 50 wsb2811 leds per string. So from the controller, how many digital data port pins would I require.

Can someone provide a schematic diagram from Arduino UNO/Mega to Icicle chain and Tree. So that I can understand this. I tried online but not much of info that I could understand with my knowledge.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a new issue I am using one of the simple sketches provided in this forum.

The moment I open Vixen all 8 led lights on relay goes ON permanently. However when I run a test from the sketch it works fine when not connected to VIXEN. Tried the solution of inverting but of no help.

I want to connect 16 ch or 2 8ch relay to control from vixen. Wondering if my sketch is wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

an arduino (especially uno) is different beast when you are talking about driving pixels and your limits are most likely in other areas than previously stated (like how fast your uno can read data and build the output and then send it down the line).

how are you driving your mega tree and icicles? ie where is the data coming from?

higher end "arduino" devices like the esp8266 and the teensy will handle the load easier.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SJBosco View Post
    I want to connect 16 ch or 2 8ch relay to control from vixen. Wondering if my sketch is wrong.
    highly likely!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast