Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vixen controlling LOR problem

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vixen controlling LOR problem

This is my second year using Vixen3. First was with an arduino, now I am trying to use lor controllers. Vixen is far beyond the LOR software

Here is what I have:
    Vixen 3
    LOR 16 channel (CTB16PCg3)
    LOR USB485 (RS485 Adapter)

The controller is working and I verified the ID in LOR Hardware utility but I can not get it to work with Vixen.
    I have been trying to follow this post http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...n-3-LOR-Module

I try to set it up as OpenDMX but this is the error I receive:
    11/13/2017 19:21:02 [Vixen.Sys.Managers.OutputDeviceExecution`1] Error starting device LOR System.Exception: Failed to open FTDI deviceFT_DEVICE_NOT_OPENED
    at VixenModules.Controller.OpenDMX.FTDI.start()
    at Vixen.Sys.Output.BasicOutputModuleExecutionControl .Start()
    at Vixen.Sys.Managers.HardwareUpdateThread.Start()
    at Vixen.Sys.Managers.OutputDeviceExecution`1._StartD evice(T outputDevice)
    at Vixen.Sys.Managers.OutputDeviceExecution`1._Start( T outputDevice) at VixenModules.Controller.OpenDMX.FTDI.start()
    at Vixen.Sys.Output.BasicOutputModuleExecutionControl .Start()
    at Vixen.Sys.Managers.HardwareUpdateThread.Start()
    at Vixen.Sys.Managers.OutputDeviceExecution`1._StartD evice(T outputDevice)
    at Vixen.Sys.Managers.OutputDeviceExecution`1._Start( T outputDevice)

I thought I downloaded the correct driver and installed it under device manager by clicking on the port and updating driver. I downloaded this driver(64bit): http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

Sorry for the rambling just trying to make sure I include everything. I feel like this might be a driver issue.

UPDATE: for anyone reading this if you are having an issue a fix is on the way thanks to Jon! If you need something sooner try the 32bit version of Vixen.
    Last edited by 7designs.com; 11-15-2017 at 09:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Vixen controlling LOR problem

That’s a driver problem specifically on the 64 bit side. I’d recommend going to the ftdi site and downloading and installing the driver from there. If it still doesn’t work, go to device manager and disable the virtual com port associated with it. Leave the other half of the driver though in the usb devices section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I went to ftdi site downloaded and installed drivers using the setup executable. I then went to device manager and disabled USP Serial Port (Com7), Which is my LOR adapter. I am still getting the same error. I even tried restarting my machine.

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I knew how to fix it. It always works fine on our dev machines. But out in the wild, it seems to be hit or miss.
    This particular device (the guts inside the dongle) is a multipurpose device that can behave differently for different software. LOR software uses it as a com port. OpenDMX does not use it as a com port. The driver package installs the usb serial device with both 64 and 32 bit versions, and a virtual com port. The problems we’ve seen only show up on windows 10 machines and only when running t the 64 bit vixen version. So it has something to do with the 64 bit side of the driver. Vixen is the only64 bit program I’m aware of that works with opendmx. So most other software appears to work. However this problem doesn’t happen on all machines that meet these criteria. Like I said, it works on all the dev machines we’ve tested.
    Nobody thus far has been willing to send us their problem adapter for testing and debugging.

Post Thanks / Like

how are you connecting your lors to the computer
    James WinterHaven Fl

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    I wish I knew how to fix it. It always works fine on our dev machines. But out in the wild, it seems to be hit or miss.
    This particular device (the guts inside the dongle) is a multipurpose device that can behave differently for different software. LOR software uses it as a com port. OpenDMX does not use it as a com port. The driver package installs the usb serial device with both 64 and 32 bit versions, and a virtual com port. The problems we’ve seen only show up on windows 10 machines and only when running t the 64 bit vixen version. So it has something to do with the 64 bit side of the driver. Vixen is the only64 bit program I’m aware of that works with opendmx. So most other software appears to work. However this problem doesn’t happen on all machines that meet these criteria. Like I said, it works on all the dev machines we’ve tested.
    Nobody thus far has been willing to send us their problem adapter for testing and debugging.

So should I try running the 32bit version of Vixen? Is there a better adapter I should use?(If so I will gladly send you this one to test with)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TazChaLet View Post
    how are you connecting your lors to the computer
    I am using the LOR USB485 Adapter with Cat5 to the controller

Post Thanks / Like

I uninstalled the 64bit version of Vixen. Installed the 32 bit version. This stopped the error from being logged but still did not work until I moved the usp to another port(I'm thinking the disconnect reconnect worked).

So I now have it working. I am still curious if there is a better adapter to use?

jchuchla if you PM me an address I will donate this adapter to you to test with after this season(or before if there is something better).

Thanks for your help and to all devs for such an amazing program!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same adapter and running 64 bit windows and tested all the lors and sold them and had no problems by any chance did you go into the setup of the lors and set them up before trying to connect with vixen
    James WinterHaven Fl

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TazChaLet View Post
    I have the same adapter and running 64 bit windows and tested all the lors and sold them and had no problems by any chance did you go into the setup of the lors and set them up before trying to connect with vixen
    I did go into the HU to verify the Unit Number was set and tested them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast