Thread: Unauthorized Access Exception

Post Thanks / Like

Default Unauthorized Access Exception

Am I missing something obvious?

I put together a simple Christmas show and attempted to test it. As the show started I had green lights on my USB dongle as well as the Controller (Renard Plus LCC16). The show started OK and lights were turning on/off/dimming as expected. About two minutes in the green lights suddenly went out on the USB dongle and Controller. (power light on the controller remained on.) Show preview continued to run without a problem. Checking the application log I am seeing this string of messages:

11/13/2017 18:53:50.516 [Vixen.Sys.Output.OutputController] An error ocuered outputing data for controller DMX Pro System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the port is denied.
    at System.IO.Ports.InternalResources.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String str)
    at System.IO.Ports.SerialStream.BeginWriteCore(Byte[] array, Int32 offset, Int32 numBytes, AsyncCallback userCallback, Object stateObject)
    at System.IO.Ports.SerialStream.Write(Byte[] array, Int32 offset, Int32 count, Int32 timeout)
    at System.IO.Ports.SerialPort.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
    at VixenModules.Output.DmxUsbPro.DmxUsbProSender.Send DmxPacket(ICommand[] outputStates)
    at VixenModules.Output.DmxUsbPro.Module.UpdateState(I nt32 chainIndex, ICommand[] outputStates)
    at Vixen.Sys.Output.OutputController.Update() at System.IO.Ports.InternalResources.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String str)
    at System.IO.Ports.SerialStream.BeginWriteCore(Byte[] array, Int32 offset, Int32 numBytes, AsyncCallback userCallback, Object stateObject)
    at System.IO.Ports.SerialStream.Write(Byte[] array, Int32 offset, Int32 count, Int32 timeout)
    at VixenModules.Output.DmxUsbPro.DmxUsbProSender.Send DmxPacket(ICommand[] outputStates)
    at VixenModules.Output.DmxUsbPro.Module.UpdateState(I nt32 chainIndex, ICommand[] outputStates)
    at Vixen.Sys.Output.OutputController.Update()
    11/13/2017 18:53:50.646 [Vixen.Sys.Output.OutputController] An error ocuered outputing data for controller DMX Pro System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the port is denied.
    at System.IO.Ports.InternalResources.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String str)
    at Vixen.Sys.Output.OutputController.Update() at System.IO.Ports.InternalResources.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String str)
    at Vixen.Sys.Output.OutputController.Update()

Just to be certain I had the latest version, after this first occurred I downloaded a fresh copy and reinstalled. I'm running 32bit version on W10. Problem occurred again after the reinstall.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Unauthorized Access Exception

Looks like something else is trying to access that port. What other programs are open that might use com ports?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    Looks like something else is trying to access that port. What other programs are open that might use com ports?

After closing Vixen, Task Manager says no applications are running.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

How about services? Anything that would try to communicate with phones, media players, etc?

Post Thanks / Like

Task Manager > Services I see nothing obvious. (see below).

When I launched Vixen again and went through the same process it started successfully and ran for about 15 minutes.
    I was just about to say 'problem solved' when lights went out again. Double checking in Task Manager the only applications running are Vixen, Task Manager, Microsoft Edge (where I am writing this response), and Notepad.
    Capture1.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    Capture3.JPG
    Capture4.JPG
    Capture5.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

As it turns out the "problem" with Vixen was a symptom and not the problem. I have a pet not feeling well and had a small heater plugged into the same outlet as the Renard. Apparently it kicked out enough noise as it cycled on off to mess up the Renard, which scrambled the Actidongle, which screwed up the USB port. Unplugged the heater and the schedule ran perfectly all evening. Needless to say, I'll be slapping a noise filter on the Renard when I move it outside.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

That's an interesting way for that problem to manifest. Hopefully that's truly the problem and not a happy coincidence.