Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Somebody school me on Pixel strips!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Somebody school me on Pixel strips!

Somebody school me on LED pixel strips, whatís good, whatís bad, and what all is this going to require if I switch to this next year. And can these be left up all year, and still be reliable? My house is 32í tall in front and I donít want to have to get up there every year crawling around on the roof, and end up with a leak. Is there an easy way to put them up if leaving them up all year isnít an option? Like I bolts with hooks on a piece of one-by or something. Sorry for so many questions..

Thanks,

Ronnie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Somebody school me on Pixel strips!

Strips are way to hard to repair, I changed all my strips to 12mm pixels.

Post Thanks / Like

Some people have good luck with strips, others like me are removing them from the show. WS2812 based strips had 4x the number of failures as opposed to WS2811 bullets and WS2811 strips (3:1). The issue I had was heat causing the WS2812 chips to separate from the flexible PCB. As for mounting high up, I used pulleys and nylon cord. I mounted the lights to PVC pipe and then hoisted them into place. I ran the cord in hard to see places with small weights to bring them back down next season. I did have a few that needed to be oiled on occasion, but that was easy to do with a ladder.

Keep in mind, strips or bullets, you will need to replace the occasional bulb, so make sure your mounting method allows access.

I have seen some people that mount the bullets into a J-channel at the house and they seem to deal with the summer sun OK.

2017 adding 2 more candy canes, 7 Mid trees and a Halloween show. Removing most 2812 strips and replacing them with bullet pixel mounting strips. Replacing many buck converter waterproof bags with printed boxes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1slos10 View Post
    Somebody school me on LED pixel strips, what’s good, what’s bad, and what all is this going to require if I switch to this next year. And can these be left up all year, and still be reliable? My house is 32’ tall in front and I don’t want to have to get up there every year crawling around on the roof, and end up with a leak. Is there an easy way to put them up if leaving them up all year isn’t an option? Like I bolts with hooks on a piece of one-by or something. Sorry for so many questions..

Thanks,

Ronnie
    I doubt that strips would survive lasting up all year. They're pretty unreliable.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m completely lost when it comes to pixel technology, but I would like to go this route next year and possibly do my own programming, if it’s not too difficult. So any recommendations on the right components would be greatly appreciated, as well as which software to try. And also stay budget friendly, as I work for the government, and don’t have a lot of extra money to throw at this change unless it’s totally necessary. Thanks a lot guys!

Post Thanks / Like

My house outline strips are 1804 (single pixel control) and have held up quite well. 5 years I guess. I believe they will hold up well if frame mounted/not moved. No idea if they would cut it all year tho. Mine are mounted to plywood frames with pipe hangers that attach to gutter. Takes me longer to drag the ladder out than to mount them. Pics here: http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...059#post253059 My arches and columns are 2811 (3 pixel control) and only one was flaky. Once I repaired it I was fine. PM me and I will send you some sections to play with... Once you understand them they are quite easy to work with.

7. Thanks 1slos10 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Roll all the strips into a ball, now throw it as far away as you can then go buy some square or bullet style pixels
    LOL
    Help is just a mouse click away

Post Thanks / Like

Pixel strip outside and mounted 6 years here now with no issues other than me hitting one with a hammer .

I agree that they are a little more time consuming if you are splicing them together compared to string pixels .

It comes down to what look you trying to achieve .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    Some people have good luck with strips, others like me are removing them from the show. WS2812 based strips had 4x the number of failures as opposed to WS2811 bullets and WS2811 strips (3:1). The issue I had was heat causing the WS2812 chips to separate from the flexible PCB. As for mounting high up, I used pulleys and nylon cord. I mounted the lights to PVC pipe and then hoisted them into place. I ran the cord in hard to see places with small weights to bring them back down next season. I did have a few that needed to be oiled on occasion, but that was easy to do with a ladder.

Keep in mind, strips or bullets, you will need to replace the occasional bulb, so make sure your mounting method allows access.

I have seen some people that mount the bullets into a J-channel at the house and they seem to deal with the summer sun OK.
    Did you use 12v with the ws2812?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    2009 - 48 channel MegaTree 4800 lights
    plus 3200 lights static display.
    2010 - 6 Snowflakes on heavy equipment stored in front yard :-(
    2011 - 72 channel Megatree 7520 lights,
    120 channel total about 10k lights total

Post Thanks / Like

WS2812 only comes in a 5V version. The 12V version uses the 5V chips and drops the voltage getting to the chip using either a buck converter or some other conversion mechanism.

2017 adding 2 more candy canes, 7 Mid trees and a Halloween show. Removing most 2812 strips and replacing them with bullet pixel mounting strips. Replacing many buck converter waterproof bags with printed boxes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast