Thread: Connecting direct to falcon player from computer without router

Post Thanks / Like

Default Connecting direct to falcon player from computer without router

Hi everyone,

Is it possible to connect to my falcon player interface by connecting directly from my computer Ethernet to the Ethernet on the Raspberry Pi?

I have an older raspberry pi that does not have Wi-Fi built-in. I'm planning on putting it in my garage which is too far away to run an ethernet cable from the router. I can bring it back into the house when I want to change the schedule or add playlist, but I think it would be more convenient if I could just carry my laptop out into the garage and plug directly into the Raspberry Pi.

Possible?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Connecting direct to falcon player from computer without router

Yes, just plug it in like you would any other device with an ethernet port then make sure your LAN settings are set to match the same subnet.

Post Thanks / Like

On anther note, go to your local goodwill store, i have gotten some good wireless routers for dirt cheap. I have all my Pi's hooked to one now, i dont care for the onboard wifi of the PI3.

Post Thanks / Like

I knew I kept that old Netgear router around for some reason. :-)

I do have one minor problem though. Maybe you know a fix.

So I hooked the RPi up to the Netgear router and rebooted the router and the RPi. Watching the boot log, I saw that the Netgear router assigned the RPi an IP address. I connected my windows laptop to the Netgear router's access point, and typed in the RPI's IP address. The laptop says it can't connect. I also just tried going to the router's setup page, and the laptop can't connect to that either.

However, I go into the other room to my MacBook, connect to the netgear router's access point, type in the RPi's IP address, and it connects perfectly.

I would just call that good, but I do all my sequencing on the windows machine with Vixen. Anytime I want to upload something to the RPI, I would have to send it to the Mac first and then get on the Mac and upload it.

I don't know a lot about networking, but do you know of something I need to do for the windows machine to connect properly to the IP addresses on the netgear router?

Post Thanks / Like

are you connecting the cable from the laptop into the internet port on the router or one of the outputs?
    James WinterHaven Fl

Post Thanks / Like

Default Connecting direct to falcon player from computer without router

Quote Originally Posted by TazChaLet View Post
    are you connecting the cable from the laptop into the internet port on the router or one of the outputs?
    Neither. I'm logging in to the Wi-Fi access point on the router. Both the windows machine and the Mac will make the connection through Wi-Fi. But when I try to access the router's admin page or the Falcon player's settings page, it works from the Mac but not from the Windows machine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kdoyon View Post
    Neither. I'm logging in to the Wi-Fi access point on the router. Both the windows machine and the Mac will make the connection through Wi-Fi. But when I try to access the router's admin page or the Falcon player's settings page, it works from the Mac but not from the Windows machine.
    You need to be sure to change the IPv4 settings to ensure the subnet is the same as the router.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I went back and rebooted the Netgear router and tried it again. This time I could connect from the windows machine too. Not sure why, but it works! Thanks for the idea Jerry72, now I have a wireless RPi!

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like you found a solution using a router, but if you did want to connect directly between the PC and the RPi, you would need an Ethernet crossover cable.
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/ethernet-crossover-cable/
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Post Thanks / Like

Most Ethernet interfaces are what is known as DXE. That means you do not need a crossover cable to connect two devices together.

2017 adding 2 more candy canes, 7 Mid trees and a Halloween show. Removing most 2812 strips and replacing them with bullet pixel mounting strips. Replacing many buck converter waterproof bags with printed boxes.