Thread: 5V Power Injection Wiring - Please Comment

Post Thanks / Like

Default 5V Power Injection Wiring - Please Comment

Please Comment.
    Does this look correct to you experts.
    Newbie here designing my system for 2018 implementation.
    This is the power injection design I am thinking about using to power 600, 5 Volt 2811 bullet pixels along the front eave of my house.
    Looking for feedback
    Will this work?
    Do you see anything "wrong" with it?
    Is this there a "better" way?
    Thank you soo much.......... learning everyday

I hope I attached this image correctly
    5V power injection wiring.PNG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Steve and Anthony; 11-12-2017 at 02:19 PM. Reason: updated image

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 5V Power Injection Wiring - Please Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Steve and Anthony View Post
    Please Comment.
    Does this look correct to you experts.
    Newbie here designing my system for 2018 implementation.
    This is the power injection design I am thinking about using to power 600, 5 Volt 2811 bullet pixels along the front eave of my house.
    Looking for feedback
    Will this work?
    Do you see anything "wrong" with it?
    Is this there a "better" way?
    Thank you soo much.......... learning everyday

I hope I attached this image correctly
    5V power injection wiring.PNG
    Looks OK to me.
    Ed
    Happily retired

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Ed........... I figured someone would suggest some improvements............ either that or, as a noobie, I guess have done enough homework

Post Thanks / Like

I used to do that, but with the combination of needing thicker copper, splitters, fuses, soldering, dark repeater pixels, rainproofing everything, I eventually gave up.

I now just have E682 controllers every 16ft along my roofline. 5 of them covers 100 linear foot. Then I have Ray make all my lights with 10ft lead wires and I just plug them in.

Itís easier, more reliable, simpler to troubleshoot or swap out a string, and if you solder your own controller boards, itís not really more expensive.

Do your own math to see if this makes sense for you - if you only end up using 1 port per board it may be a bit expensive, but if you later plan to add icicles, snowflakes, flood lights etc. it may work out better.
    2016: 21500 pixels, 24 E682's. 6 A/C with 2 LOR
    2015: 7500 pixels, 11 E682's. 35 A/C with 3 LOR
    2011: 64 A/C channels with 5 LOR

Post Thanks / Like

Steve as everyone has said looks good. I would get a cheap digital meter from Lowe's and try to get the output voltage as close as possible on both supplies. I have received 5 volt power supplies that were as much as .5 volts different from each other. I set the output of my 5 Volt supplies as close as I can to 5.10 volts.

Gary
    Last edited by JP90; 11-13-2017 at 09:36 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks deonb, Great info........I never considered using multiple controllers. I could probably use the 4 channel from Falcon and just use two ports, 50 pixels each way. I still would have to run cat 5's and 120 along the roof line to power the 4 channel controllers/power supplies; but then, I get it, its alot easier just to just plug in two strings per controller and go........... also room for easy growth, my design does not allow for any growth along the eave.......... mmmmmmmmmmmmm thanks a bunch........ gonna have to give this more thought. At least I gave myself a year to figure this out

Gary, the Meanwell LPV 60-5 (40 Watt, constant voltage) power supplies do not come with a voltage adjustment. I just received 2 of them to practice with on friday, I have not put leads on them yet to play around (too many Thanksgiving wife honeydo's this weekend), but I will be sure to check when i get them up and running.

Thanks for the comments.

Post Thanks / Like

In this hobby of ours, there are so many options for controllers and power supplies. I've been reducing the foot print of all the "equipment" in the yard. I use an F16V2 which stays nice and comfy in the house. I try to max out the pixel count per output from the controller. I've found using RS-485 transmitter/receiver boards (very cheap on ebay) a long with cat6 cable that I can extend the signals to pretty much anywhere in my front yard. The RS-485 uses a twisted pair of wires per signal. So 3 signals and 1 power to drive the receiver boards at the end of the cable. My longest cable is about 100 feet. Last year I used 2 5V power supplies (40A & 60A) and 1 12V (33A). I run a 16 ga power cable in parallel with the strings and power inject about every 50 pixels. Using a meter, I run additional power cables where the voltage starts to dip. The cost of the power cables are much cheaper than using many power supplies or bucks. Each year I'm Adding more 12V pixels because less power injection is needed (newer 12V pixels use regulator chips instead of resistors to drop the voltage). I'll be adding a second 12V 33A power supply for this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks RogerH. Yes Im learning that there is no "best" way, just "different" ways. But these posts have given me lots to think about, separate power supplies, higher voltage power supplies/buck converters, separate controllers, differential expansion/ remote receiver boards ....... Its going to take me longer to figure out HOW I want to do it than actually DOING IT Im just glad I gave myself a year to figure this out

BTW... What is the max length you run on your 16 ga, parallel to strings, power injection cable, it would seem like after just a couple hundred pixels the voltage drop would become fairly significant.......

Post Thanks / Like

Many people comment on power injection at the beginning of a 100 pixel string and at the end. This does work BTW. Everything depends on the gauge wire used in the pixel string. My initial start with pixels was bidding for the cheapest bullet nodes I could find on ebay. The problem is you get what you pay for e.g 22 gauge wire instead of 18 gauge. The 16 gauge wire running in parallel was to compensate for this. Find a good vendor. Buy in the January/February time frame (pre-sales). I made the mistake of "assuming" pixels are pixels, WRONG. I've switched to 12V pixels from vendors in the states (they deal with the vendors in China, specs, etc). There are pros and cons to both 5V and 12V. When I started, I had a bunch of PC power supplies so 5V made a lot of sense. Hope this helps.