Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone find Vixen 2 less aggravating to work with?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Does anyone find Vixen 2 less aggravating to work with?

Vixen 3.x with 4 Arduino MEGAs last year. No problems other than those that I created for myself. Used three different sketches until settling on ZParticle sketch.
    Kevin

2017 - Pi3 w/FPP controlling 8 ESPixelsticks driving 1250pixels and 3 Arduino MEGAS communicating with ESP-01s driving 96 channels
    2016 - 184 channels of Blinking/Flashing using 4 Arduino MEGAs and cheap home-made props.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TazChaLet View Post
    I tried using vix2 my first yr and kept getting a random comm port error that would freeze up my show so I switched to a different sequencer and haven't looked back
    That is a known problem with Vixen2.1x, related, I believe to virtual com port allocation when using duplicate USB adaptors of the same internal chip (FDTI - Prolific) etc.

Last year I ran 4 x RS232 serial ports, plus one USB DMX to run my show, never missed a beat. I had attempted multiple USB/RS485 adaptors, but as expected I got screens full of "Com Port Errors", hence my fitting a PCI 4 Port serial interface card - no problems then :-)

As an aside, I tried to run my LTC driven Ledtrix panel via a USB / RS485 adaptor, it "worked", but I experienced severe data jittering problems on the panel, it couldn't get the data out quick enough when the show was running, a swap over to a standard serial port with a passive RS232 / RS485 adaptor, no further problems.

Terry
    [B]"Tory Street Lights", Nelson, NZ[/B]
    [B]2013 - "Honourable Mention"[/B] - 2013 Local Christmas Lighting Competition
    [B]2013 :-[/B] 11 x Ren 64XC's - 650 Channels, 45,000+ lights. 7,000 or so LED's this year:-)
    ----------------------------------------------
    [B]"Lucky Home" [/B]- 2012 Local Christmas Lighting Competition
    [B]2012 :-[/B] 11 x Ren 64XC's - 550 Channels, 40,000+ lights. 2,500 or so LED's for the first time :-)
    -----------------------------------------------
    [B]2011:-[/B] 7 x Ren 64XC's - 384 Channels, 30,000+ lights - all incandescents! 2 x Commercial LED Panels (72x7)!
    ------------------------------------------------
    [B]"Supreme Winner for 2010" [/B]Local Christmas Lighting Competition, 4 x Ren 64's - 256 Channels Controlled by Vixen - "Brilliant" :-)
    18,000 to 20,000 Lights - all incandescents! 2 x LedTricks Panels with "Pix C" interface's
    [B]2009:- [/B]128 Channels of "Hill 320", 4,000 Lights

Post Thanks / Like

I spent a long time learning Vixen 2.1 and got to where I was pretty good at it.
    Now I am switching to pixels and find 2.1 to be outdated and Vixen 3 harder to learn
    or at least harder than I remember 2.1 to be. Would be curios how hard Xlights is to learn
    and how it compares to Vixen 3.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess there is a lot of Vixen 2 supporters out there. It's just so strange that my RX light stays solid when vixen 3 is connected. I might try it again as i have changed the baudrate in Windows device manager and now it works flawlessly in Vixen 2. But i only have AC lighting, and i already have my show sequenced in V2 so I am probably going to use V2 this year.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hook View Post
    I guess there is a lot of Vixen 2 supporters out there. It's just so strange that my RX light stays solid when vixen 3 is connected. I might try it again as i have changed the baudrate in Windows device manager and now it works flawlessly in Vixen 2. But i only have AC lighting, and i already have my show sequenced in V2 so I am probably going to use V2 this year.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
    Not strange at all. Itís how itís designed. Vixen 3 sends data all the time when your controller is enabled and the program is running. This is how it is able to run multiple contexts at a time and support live input. Vixen 2 only does one thing at a time and only drives the controllers when a sequence is playing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wrongway View Post
    I spent a long time learning Vixen 2.1 and got to where I was pretty good at it.
    Now I am switching to pixels and find 2.1 to be outdated and Vixen 3 harder to learn
    or at least harder than I remember 2.1 to be. Would be curios how hard Xlights is to learn
    and how it compares to Vixen 3.
    The problem is that pixels have forced a paradigm shift due to the massive number of channels. In reality you almost need to forget what you know and treat it as completely new.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

I have been trying to get vixen 3 to work for me. I gave up and got Vixen 2 working fine, now I just have to get everything outside. Yes, I know I am running late but it is only a 16 channel show. Just getting ready to close the box up now.
    Capt Kirk

Post Thanks / Like

I sequence in 2.1 but my show runs on 2.0
    James Family Christmas - 1600 channels of SS Renard channels
    Website - http://jamesfamilychristmas.com/ <<broken
    Facebook - James Family Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

Had it not been for Wayne J and his excellent tutorials on Vixen 2 I would not have achieved huge television/front page/radio coverage. Thank you so much Wayne. Still using it but for model railroad display.! . I have a saying which I took from an episode of Mash which really has helped an old procrastinator. "I do one thing, I do it well, and then I move on" this often helps to solve problems.!

10. Likes Wayne J liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I do love Vixen, however I have just moved over to xLights, the main reason is that they have a Mac version so makes it easier and not having to spin up a VM to do the light display.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast