Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone find Vixen 2 less aggravating to work with?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Does anyone find Vixen 2 less aggravating to work with?

Vixen 3.x with 4 Arduino MEGAs last year. No problems other than those that I created for myself. Used three different sketches until settling on ZParticle sketch.
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TazChaLet View Post
    I tried using vix2 my first yr and kept getting a random comm port error that would freeze up my show so I switched to a different sequencer and haven't looked back
    That is a known problem with Vixen2.1x, related, I believe to virtual com port allocation when using duplicate USB adaptors of the same internal chip (FDTI - Prolific) etc.

Last year I ran 4 x RS232 serial ports, plus one USB DMX to run my show, never missed a beat. I had attempted multiple USB/RS485 adaptors, but as expected I got screens full of "Com Port Errors", hence my fitting a PCI 4 Port serial interface card - no problems then :-)

As an aside, I tried to run my LTC driven Ledtrix panel via a USB / RS485 adaptor, it "worked", but I experienced severe data jittering problems on the panel, it couldn't get the data out quick enough when the show was running, a swap over to a standard serial port with a passive RS232 / RS485 adaptor, no further problems.

Terry
    [B]"Tory Street Lights", Nelson, NZ[/B]
    [B]2013 - "Honourable Mention"[/B] - 2013 Local Christmas Lighting Competition
    [B]2013 :-[/B] 11 x Ren 64XC's - 650 Channels, 45,000+ lights. 7,000 or so LED's this year:-)
    ----------------------------------------------
    [B]"Lucky Home" [/B]- 2012 Local Christmas Lighting Competition
    [B]2012 :-[/B] 11 x Ren 64XC's - 550 Channels, 40,000+ lights. 2,500 or so LED's for the first time :-)
    -----------------------------------------------
    [B]2011:-[/B] 7 x Ren 64XC's - 384 Channels, 30,000+ lights - all incandescents! 2 x Commercial LED Panels (72x7)!
    ------------------------------------------------
    [B]"Supreme Winner for 2010" [/B]Local Christmas Lighting Competition, 4 x Ren 64's - 256 Channels Controlled by Vixen - "Brilliant" :-)
    18,000 to 20,000 Lights - all incandescents! 2 x LedTricks Panels with "Pix C" interface's
    [B]2009:- [/B]128 Channels of "Hill 320", 4,000 Lights

Post Thanks / Like

I spent a long time learning Vixen 2.1 and got to where I was pretty good at it.
    Now I am switching to pixels and find 2.1 to be outdated and Vixen 3 harder to learn
    or at least harder than I remember 2.1 to be. Would be curios how hard Xlights is to learn
    and how it compares to Vixen 3.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess there is a lot of Vixen 2 supporters out there. It's just so strange that my RX light stays solid when vixen 3 is connected. I might try it again as i have changed the baudrate in Windows device manager and now it works flawlessly in Vixen 2. But i only have AC lighting, and i already have my show sequenced in V2 so I am probably going to use V2 this year.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hook View Post
    I guess there is a lot of Vixen 2 supporters out there. It's just so strange that my RX light stays solid when vixen 3 is connected. I might try it again as i have changed the baudrate in Windows device manager and now it works flawlessly in Vixen 2. But i only have AC lighting, and i already have my show sequenced in V2 so I am probably going to use V2 this year.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
    Not strange at all. Itís how itís designed. Vixen 3 sends data all the time when your controller is enabled and the program is running. This is how it is able to run multiple contexts at a time and support live input. Vixen 2 only does one thing at a time and only drives the controllers when a sequence is playing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wrongway View Post
    I spent a long time learning Vixen 2.1 and got to where I was pretty good at it.
    Now I am switching to pixels and find 2.1 to be outdated and Vixen 3 harder to learn
    or at least harder than I remember 2.1 to be. Would be curios how hard Xlights is to learn
    and how it compares to Vixen 3.
    The problem is that pixels have forced a paradigm shift due to the massive number of channels. In reality you almost need to forget what you know and treat it as completely new.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

I have been trying to get vixen 3 to work for me. I gave up and got Vixen 2 working fine, now I just have to get everything outside. Yes, I know I am running late but it is only a 16 channel show. Just getting ready to close the box up now.
    Capt Kirk

Post Thanks / Like

I sequence in 2.1 but my show runs on 2.0
    James Family Christmas - 1600 channels of SS Renard channels
    Website - http://jamesfamilychristmas.com/ <<broken
    Facebook - James Family Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

Had it not been for Wayne J and his excellent tutorials on Vixen 2 I would not have achieved huge television/front page/radio coverage. Thank you so much Wayne. Still using it but for model railroad display.! . I have a saying which I took from an episode of Mash which really has helped an old procrastinator. "I do one thing, I do it well, and then I move on" this often helps to solve problems.!

10. Likes Wayne J liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I do love Vixen, however I have just moved over to xLights, the main reason is that they have a Mac version so makes it easier and not having to spin up a VM to do the light display.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast