Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone find Vixen 2 less aggravating to work with?

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Does anyone find Vixen 2 less aggravating to work with?

So Vixen 3 is okay unless you want to use an Arduino board...
    Did anyone else with Arduino based shows have trouble with serial communication?
    I think the problem is that all those sketches out there are for V2 but personally i like Vixen 2 better.
    So if you're having troubles getting one of those sketches to work. Try Vixen 2.

Anyone want to object?

2. Likes paudyd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Does anyone find Vixen 2 less aggravating to work with?

I love V2, it is what I learned on, and is very intuitive to me. Unfortunately, it does not lend itself to large numbers of Pixel channels.........

4. Likes TazChaLet liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm still a Vixen 2 user. I don't have any pixels though. I just say use what you're comfortable with. If it works for you, that's the goal.
    Chris
    [URL="http://www.maloneylights.com"]http://www.maloneylights.com[/URL]
    [URL="http://halloween.maloneylights.com"]http://halloween.maloneylights.com[/URL]
    [URL="http://ctm.maloneylights.com"]http://ctm.maloneylights.com[/URL]

6. Likes Wayne J liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Still sequencing in Vixen 2.1x, very intuitive and easy to work with and for me virtually 100% stable, even if it takes longer to complete a sequence than with the newer software packages. I will admit that I am adding some Pixels this year with xLights to handle the Pixel programming, and show playout.

Terry
    [B]"Tory Street Lights", Nelson, NZ[/B]
    [B]2013 - "Honourable Mention"[/B] - 2013 Local Christmas Lighting Competition
    [B]2013 :-[/B] 11 x Ren 64XC's - 650 Channels, 45,000+ lights. 7,000 or so LED's this year:-)
    ----------------------------------------------
    [B]"Lucky Home" [/B]- 2012 Local Christmas Lighting Competition
    [B]2012 :-[/B] 11 x Ren 64XC's - 550 Channels, 40,000+ lights. 2,500 or so LED's for the first time :-)
    -----------------------------------------------
    [B]2011:-[/B] 7 x Ren 64XC's - 384 Channels, 30,000+ lights - all incandescents! 2 x Commercial LED Panels (72x7)!
    ------------------------------------------------
    [B]"Supreme Winner for 2010" [/B]Local Christmas Lighting Competition, 4 x Ren 64's - 256 Channels Controlled by Vixen - "Brilliant" :-)
    18,000 to 20,000 Lights - all incandescents! 2 x LedTricks Panels with "Pix C" interface's
    [B]2009:- [/B]128 Channels of "Hill 320", 4,000 Lights

Post Thanks / Like

(Raises hand)

Me too, Terry. I still have this crazy rows and columns thing going on in my head... can't seem to shake it... and Vixen 2.1 has never hiccuped on me or crashed during a show.

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store is closed for all sales. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the years!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on Dave's comments.....
    I have a lot of AC lights and the pre-pixel version of vixen is rock solid.
    Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post
    (Raises hand)

Me too, Terry. I still have this crazy rows and columns thing going on in my head... can't seem to shake it... and Vixen 2.1 has never hiccuped on me or crashed during a show.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried using vix2 my first yr and kept getting a random comm port error that would freeze up my show so I switched to a different sequencer and haven't looked back
    James WinterHaven Fl

Post Thanks / Like

When I first got started, I didn't like any of the sequencers out there at the time. They were all quite dated in design and workflow. So I jumped on the V3 beta bandwagon and never looked back.

What are the com port issues you're talking about? We don't have any open tickets related to com port or serial problems. And I haven't seen one in a while either.

Typically what we find when helping Arduino users is that they aren't all that well versed in sketch writing and don't understand how to choose or define a protocol on the vixen side and then parse it on the Arduino side. That's probably not the case here since you have it working in V2.1, but not vixen 3. The sketch would work the same for either given the same setup.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm an old guy and teaching old guys new tricks can be a problem. A few years ago I got into this hobby. I was scared to death that I wouldn't be able to learn sequencing. I think I even mentioned that in my first posts.
    I used to be in the printing industry and everything I did was by hand, cutting, registering 4 color pictures, etc. and then exposing all the flats to film and then developing the film. I was know in the trade as a "lithographic stripper". I stripped flats of images, text, cutting windows, outlining images. Then desktop publishing took over the industry. Everything was done by computer. I was given the chance to switch and I jumped right in. Guys my age at the time couldn't handle it. They were scared of the technology and eventually left the trade.
    I got turned onto Vixen 3. I have to say I actually learned it in less than 3 hours. Seriously. I had my prop made even before I started sequencing and I used that to see what effects reacted as I added them to the timeline. I can't say enough about the Vixen folks and I certainly praise the people here on the forums. Without the people here I'm afraid I wouldn't be where I am today.

Post Thanks / Like

I still sequence everything ac with Vixen 2.1. Its what I learned on, never gave me an issue, and is the easiest for me to work with.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast