Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 36" Mega Tree Star xlights setup help

Post Thanks / Like

Default 36" Mega Tree Star xlights setup help

Total Newbie but somewhat skilled....

So I've got a 16 strand CCR Mega Tree all setup and running perfect on an Alphapix 16 controller. No problem there.

I decided to add this star: RGB 6 Section Star Kit For MegaTrees - 36" Wide (RGB Smart Nodes + Controller).

It's all built and I can run test mode from the controller but I can't for the life of me configure and add it in xlights, does anyone have a screen shot of their setup/layout screen along with the alphapix controller setup screen that I can use as a template?

Thanks!!
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 36" Mega Tree Star xlights setup help

Have a look at Leechburg Light's video on how they created a multilayer star. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNeyKcztsZg

It may create the effect you're wanting. Everything you want the star to do can be a variation on the custom model or a specific layer within the model.

There is also a "number of layers" setting in the Xlights star model, and that may give you what you need, but I'm not terribly familiar with the star model.

Post Thanks / Like

Use the Star Model set for 270 nodes and for the layers type in "70,60,50,40,30,20". I believe you need to start the wiring bottom center and then wire it going counter-clockwise as viewed from the back.
    Thanks,
    Gil Jones
    xLights Developer
    CopperCreekLights on Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks but I know xlights will build the star for me, I think it's either the controller config is wrong or the xlights config is wrong but I've changed so many #'s at this point that I think it's totally wrong..... Here's my screens. Please tell me what i did wrong.
    Thanks a ton!!

xlights configa.jpg
    xlights config.jpg
    xlights configb.jpg

If you need another view let me know?

Post Thanks / Like

Gil, I started center bottom clockwise (counter if viewed from behind) so I'm 20,30,40,50,60,70 in the setup. and that is broken into 3 strands 90/110/70

I honestly think I did the config wrong. I was thinking of deleting the tree and just testing the star but I'm afraid that when I go back and redo the tree I'll screw that up and then I'm just having a beer.

6. Likes Bizeek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

running a slow 1 pixel chase might show where it is messed up.

Post Thanks / Like

I think i got it, I copied the controller setup from the tree, then moved the star to the top of the xlights setup, and even though it's listed as 1,2,3 duplicate on the E1.31 list it seemed to work. posting my solution for the next guy who hits this wall.
    thanks all!

Post Thanks / Like

I spoke too soon, all that did was take 4 channels from the tree and move then to the star!? so channels 1-4, even though the star is only 3 - that alphapix is 4, moved up to the star and then the tree's channels 13-16 are now dark..... I'm going to have a drink and try again tomorrow. If anyone is local to Fairfield/New Haven County CT could you give me a hand? I'd become your best friend, please?

Post Thanks / Like

you are on the right road with what you have posted in this thread. just show us one more thing. what is the model configuration look like? it should have have channels that will point to .37 and universe 20 in some way.
    also on the alphapix4, you can turn off the dmx output. that would redirect universe 20 to the dmx plug (not sure if it would affect output 1).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by billyp203 View Post
    Gil, I started center bottom clockwise (counter if viewed from behind) so I'm 20,30,40,50,60,70 in the setup. and that is broken into 3 strands 90/110/70

I honestly think I did the config wrong. I was thinking of deleting the tree and just testing the star but I'm afraid that when I go back and redo the tree I'll screw that up and then I'm just having a beer.
    Yeah I told you how it should be done and then you reply telling me you did something different so its probably wrong.
    Thanks,
    Gil Jones
    xLights Developer
    CopperCreekLights on Facebook

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast