Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Matrix spacing question

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    67
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Matrix spacing question

    I have 300 square nodes to use this year. Since I can't afford to spend the money for p10's (not sure I could get them in time anyway) I thought I would use the square nodes for a crude matrix. Question is, how would a 30w x 10h with 1" spacing look from as little as 20 feet? I just want to use it mostly for text and maybe a few lo-res images. I could use the strings to start wrapping windows or something else but that would be boring and nobody would really be able to tell until I can get enough for a goodly portion of the show.

    Thanks for any input.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    160
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Matrix spacing question

    Perhaps good enough for scrolling text. Can you make a 12x25 pixel tree instead?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Sauk City, WI USA
    Posts
    1,155
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Matrix spacing question

    you should be able to mock up the matrix by getting a ball of string and tieing the nodes together. 20 feet is close but should work okay

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    MD, USA
    Posts
    1,079
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Matrix spacing question

    You can see my matrix live here scrolling text: https://www.ipcamlive.com/countdown2christmas

    This camera is about 15ft from the sign. Text works well, two lines of text is good too. VERY simple animation is OK. Sowing something like a movie clip doesn't work too well for me (though it could be my error using the tools). These are strips that have a 1.3" spacing between them.

    Just to give you a ballpark to work against.
    ~Jason
    [URL]http://www.tooz.us[/URL]

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    67
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Matrix spacing question

    thank you everyone. I think I will go with it and if I don't like it then just take it apart. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    356
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Matrix spacing question

    Quote Originally Posted by lugnut68f View Post
    thank you everyone. I think I will go with it and if I don't like it then just take it apart. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
    You can always lower the intensity to make it more legible as well.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    926
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Matrix spacing question

    I have two window matrices that are 30 rows by 20 columns using 2" spacing. I have been very surprised at how well they looke. First used them at Halloween. Although I took some video it has not be uploaded from my camera or edited yet so nothing to show. I used plastic netting to make the matrix.
    Jim Nealand
    Kennesaw, Ga

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    39
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Matrix spacing question

    Quote Originally Posted by jnealand View Post
    I have two window matrices that are 30 rows by 20 columns using 2" spacing. I have been very surprised at how well they looke. First used them at Halloween. Although I took some video it has not be uploaded from my camera or edited yet so nothing to show. I used plastic netting to make the matrix.
    Hey Jim once you get that video upload/edited could you post it. Would love to see how that looks. I have one window those dimension might work for.

    Thanks,

    Bob

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    16
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Matrix spacing question

    Does anybody knows where i can get a Net or grid where i can mount Bullet Pixels looking to do a Large Pixel Matrix, so im wonder if they already sell Grid with spacing hole to mount them.

    please i will appreciate it!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,006
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Matrix spacing question

    Quote Originally Posted by Rulos View Post
    Does anybody knows where i can get a Net or grid where i can mount Bullet Pixels looking to do a Large Pixel Matrix, so im wonder if they already sell Grid with spacing hole to mount them.

    please i will appreciate it!

    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...24EB/205960837


    wider

    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Acorn-In...4850/300180179

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •