Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: New Product from Holiday Lighting: 4 Port Power Fan Out/Distribution Board

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New Product from Holiday Lighting: 4 Port Power Fan Out/Distribution Board

Quote Originally Posted by Bwinter View Post
    With a shunt
    Thanks B and Yea the 50 amp one has a shunt with it , think Iíll get that one .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New Product from Holiday Lighting: 4 Port Power Fan Out/Distribution Board

Question: Do you need another fuse between the PSU and your controller? I see some folks using these between the PSU and the controller (and between the PSU and this breakout board).
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/392729613980
    And what size fuse? The PSU is 29A PSU(150W). A 30A fuse then?

Post Thanks / Like

So, the question is this...
    What are you trying to protect?
    A fuse is really a safety item designed to blow before your wires melt and perhaps start a fire.

The size of the fuse has nothing to do with the available load.
    It has everything to do with the size wire you run between the load source and the item drawing power.

If you use a fuse with a rating that is higher than the amp rating of the wire connected to it, it does no good at all.

So, in our hobby, we use fuses to first keep a wire from turning red hot and melting.
    Secondly, if something connected in the chain of power has a dead short, it can protect everything downstream of the fuse from experiencing the results of the short.
    i.e. if you have four items connected to this breakout board and one of them experiences a short, the fuse on the breakout board will blow for that one connection, yet leave the other three up and running.
    Quote Originally Posted by virgil1 View Post
    Question: Do you need another fuse between the PSU and your controller? I see some folks using these between the PSU and the controller (and between the PSU and this breakout board).
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/392729613980
    And what size fuse? The PSU is 29A PSU(150W). A 30A fuse then?

Post Thanks / Like

Technically, though, in this hobby/line of community service, I use fuses to protect my relays more than anything.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678