Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pixels in ABS

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pixels in ABS

Hey Everyone,
    I got schooled this weekend in the pain of mounting pixels. I had used some of the mega tree strips and have pushed pixels in some of the boscoyo coro snowflakes. It was a pain, but it was manageable.
    I purchased 3 boscoyo ABS mini trees and attempted to populate them with pixels this weekend. Pushing these pixels in ABS is very difficult and after 1 10 pixel row, had to stop due to sore fingers and cramping hands. Now, I have 300 of these to do and at my preset rate I would finish in June of 2018.
    I did try to use a step bit and slightly widen the holes. Worked ok at first but using a hand drill quickly led to mistakes and now I have some holes that are too big.

I thought of using a hair dryer or heat gun to warm the ABS, but I dont want to risk damaging the plastic.

Is there a way to make this easier?

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pixels in ABS

Two items are very helpful. Pixel pliers and a back up block with clearance holes to support the strip while you are pushing the pixels in. I did 2800 pixels into ABS this way.
    Ed
    Happily retired

Post Thanks / Like

BEER! j/k. Interesting, I did like 8 minis in no time and no fuss. Where'd you get your pixels? I have switched from Ray to domestic sources and find I have less headaches with this sort of stuff. duds/out of round connectors/bad joints.

Post Thanks / Like

I may try the pliers but not sure if they will be able to maintain grip with the amount of pressure I will need to apply. I will make a backer block to see if that helps. These are so tight it actually removes some of the plastic coating from the pixel when inserted and I am afraid I am going to damage wiring or the pixel itself.

Pixels were purchased from DIYLEDExpress last year and I tried some other pixels that I had purchased from holidaycoro to see if there was a difference. No difference....just as difficult.

Beer was consumed
    Last edited by mildog; 11-06-2017 at 11:48 AM. Reason: add comment

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a link to at least one place to get the pixel pliers: http://www.holidaycoro.com/Pixel-Node-Pliers-p/871.htm
    Ed
    Happily retired

Post Thanks / Like

I just did 9 medium plus (140 nodes) and as I put my pixels in, I did so at an angle, then straightened it out. Some required a slight twist. But, yes, it's not easy, and not sure I ever want to do it again.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that is a lot. I cant imagine doing that many in that thick ABS.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 1/2" PVC Street elbow as a backer. The fitting goes in front of the coro or strip and you push/twist the pixel from the back. Supporting from the front keeps the material (coro/strip) from bending and absorbing the pressure. Any rigid backer that's easy to manipulate should help.

Post Thanks / Like

Ya, tell me, lol. I also used an insulated winter work glove for padding, still got a thumb blister. Only built one a night though. I'm working on a design for new tree's next year, using the strips which are much easier. Put 800 in, one evening, easy as could be.

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered a set of pixel pliers. I will give anything a try, but I dont have much confidence it will be any easier. Did use various backing items, socket, PVC fitting. Still sucks. The strips are much easier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast