Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Strip leds or pixel strings?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Strip leds or pixel strings?

Cool, thanks for the info! I'll probably start with 30 and go from there...

Post Thanks / Like

There are so many options for making arches.....I'll throw mine into the hat...
    I went and used Ray's Neon pixel: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...4ea4f5417rsLzB
    I had left over white PEX and created the arch using 3/4" PEX and 3D printed a base. I cable tied the Neon tube pixels over top and it looked great. The Neon is flat on bottom so it laid down great on top of the PEX. The PEX illuminates a bit as well so it looks even better. I am at work, but can see if I have some pics to show you what it looked like when I get home.
    The wife loved them and is looking for 4 more....
    :-)
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

I hope you do have a picture or two of it. It is very interesting.
    The description on the sales site claims that it is a 30/10 per meter strip that has been placed in their "milky neon tube".
    How do you cut this to different lengths (as you can with the strip by itself)?
    Also, since your lights are on the outside of the tube, is there a reason why you used PEX instead of simple PVC?
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algerdes View Post
    I hope you do have a picture or two of it. It is very interesting.
    The description on the sales site claims that it is a 30/10 per meter strip that has been placed in their "milky neon tube".
    How do you cut this to different lengths (as you can with the strip by itself)?
    Also, since your lights are on the outside of the tube, is there a reason why you used PEX instead of simple PVC?
    I didn't cut it, I bought it in 2.5 meter length as that is what size I wanted. However, there are end caps on the neon tube so it would not be difficult to remove and take out strip, there is more room inside than the silicon tube normally used.
    No other reason that that is what I had on hand. I used PEX to outline my house with dumb RGB (the strip was inside PEX and up all year). Once I renovated and took everything down I had 5M lengths of the stuff. Besides, PEX is easy to bend and wanted to go back to its original coil form even after being up 4 years straight.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by outbreak View Post
    Cool, thanks for the info! I'll probably start with 30 and go from there...
    30/m is too choppy. Go with 60/m like the pros.
    Didn't pay for a sig

Post Thanks / Like

"... like the pros." ? Sure. UhHuh.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

7. Likes angus40, mikel3332 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by outbreak View Post
    I'll need to re-mortgage the house for those!
    No one said this hobby was inexpensive
    Also there is no correct answer to your question .
    Depending on the prop you are building , the # of pixels per meter will simply enhance definition.
    Remember that this is a hobby so experiment away and use what suits your taste and liking .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algerdes View Post
    "... like the pros." ? Sure. UhHuh.
    Al you already gave your opinion so leave mine alone. I think Matt Johnson is a pro...he does get paid. He recommended 60/m. I tried to be cheap like you and tested 30/m since I already had them and I don't think it looked good so I bought 60/m. If you are satisfied then fine but I'm not and that's my opinion.
    Didn't pay for a sig

Post Thanks / Like

Since it's an old thread, maybe the OP can come back and let us know how it all worked out for him.

This is my 1st year with PEX and the 2811 strips, but I've got the tube laying on my living room floor and the effects look great. Really didn't think they'd shine through that cloudy tube so well. I went with the 60/m.

Of course I have no experience with the 30/m. I'm sure they work fine too. I will say that I have no dim spots in the tube (unless I want them there), it's a solid level of brightness from end to end. I'm just saying that b/c if you start with 30/m and you see any dim spots, that'd be the difference. (of course if you get uniform light from end to end then I overpaid Grrrr lol)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rmcgee5 View Post
    Since it's an old thread, maybe the OP can come back and let us know how it all worked out for him.

This is my 1st year with PEX and the 2811 strips, but I've got the tube laying on my living room floor and the effects look great. Really didn't think they'd shine through that cloudy tube so well. I went with the 60/m.

Of course I have no experience with the 30/m. I'm sure they work fine too. I will say that I have no dim spots in the tube (unless I want them there), it's a solid level of brightness from end to end. I'm just saying that b/c if you start with 30/m and you see any dim spots, that'd be the difference. (of course if you get uniform light from end to end then I overpaid Grrrr lol)
    You can simulate 30/m perfectly with your 60/m strip if you want to see what it would look like .

Create a sequence that excludes every other pixel , then sequence the remaining pixels as if each group of 3 pixels sequentially make 1 pixel .
    This can help you determine if you would like the look first hand and proceed with investing or not .
    Cheers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast