Thread: Cannot get arches to work. Need help.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cannot get arches to work. Need help.

First year doing arches. I’ve spent a long, long time researching this and have already been back and forth to Home Depot. I just can’t get it right. FYI my driveway is 20’ wide.

First time, my pipe was way too thin. inch PVC was way too flimsy and didn’t even fit in the supports.

This time I have 1 inch pvc arches, driven into 1 inch supports, which are on top of 4’ rebar driven 2’ feet into the ground.

I still can’t get it right. Now, diggers hotline hasn’t come around yet so my rebar isn’t fully in, I was just trying to practice before trying the real thing. The rebar was probably only about 1 foot in.

I placed the 5’ 1 pieces over the rebar, then really struggled, but got it to work, to get my arches over. They were on but when I shook them a bit they swayed. Really apprehensive about putting this over a driveway. I know there is rebar and pipe on top, but I just can’t get over it mentally, I want it to be solid. Do they sway?

My arches are just 3 pieces of 10’ PVC joined by 2 connectors. Is that enough security? Have a feeling that is one problem. I’ve seen a few people say they use glue, but I have to be able to take these down, too.

I thought about getting the T’s on the ends and the 4-ways in the middle joining pieces, to build support beams across all the arches, however seeing some of the tutorials, many of them say you don’t need that with 1” PVC. It’s also ugly, but if that’s what I have to do, I guess it’s back to HD one more time. Is that really going to provide enough stability? Nothing seems to work as it says thus far.

Really at my wit’s end with this and appreciate help.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Cannot get arches to work. Need help.

i would drive screws through the connectors to lock them in place. no glue. you will need some lateral guy wires.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Drill small holes through the couplers on each side, use either cotter pins or small nuts/bolts. That will allow you to take them apart. As for lateral sway, yes, it will happen, but use a heavy fishing line to tie them together, then on the end arches, anchor them to pull the assembly taught. Use black paracord too. Strong, blends in.

Post Thanks / Like

I built mine as shown in the video on the boysco site . Plan to just use tent stakes through the bottom conduit to keep from tipping. First year so will see how it goes. Might be too late for you, took awhile to build.

Post Thanks / Like

Would using male/female threaded connectors work instead of using screws and couplings?