Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Does this look right my outlets

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Does this look right my outlets

Quote Originally Posted by Jediosu View Post
    I used this SSR:
    https://www.amazon.com/SainSmart-8-C...ainsmart+relay

it only switches the line or neutral, not both. I chose to switch the line. I tried to draw out a rough diagram of how I did it. Again, I'm not a licensed electrician or anything of the sort, I'm a computer programmer so take it as you wish. If you have questions find someone who understands wiring AC outlets or take it to your local hardware store and ask them to "reality check" your setup before you plug it in.

I used black, white, and green wire as per standard use. my picture has different colors so you can see it.

Attachment 38016
    Okay, so the ground also needs to run from each outlet also? none ever showed a ground that i could see anyways so was wondering..
    your red wire is how i planed to do mine just go from each channel on the SSR to the next one...
    then the black from each channel on the SSR to each outlet for the 8 channels

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wirenut1980 View Post
    The set up looks better. If you can, post the info of the ssr relays you are getting. This way we can draw an accurate wiring diagram to help out. I'm glad you are asking for help so that you can learn. That's what this hobby and fourm are all about.
    this is the one i have on order and will be using to start with... Im thinking to switch to a USB one however but there all about the same right
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    One thing i still not sure is driffrence from a 5v or a 12v one..
    this is the usb one https://www.amazon.com/SainSmart-Eig...d69cbb7216da82

i am one of those that say until you do something you will never know how to do something. i am a mechanic, have always worked on my own cars. i learned by watching and asking questions.. I wanted to learn HTML and i taught myself it by reading online.

Post Thanks / Like

okay I redid my wires, did them the colors yall said I should.. I guess I should add a green from the hot outlet to the 4 other plugs also
    I just used what wire I had left from before

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk
    FB @ langleylights

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pcguy17 View Post
    okay I redid my wires, did them the colors yall said I should.. I guess I should add a green from the hot outlet to the 4 other plugs also
    I just used what wire I had left from before

Definitely add the green from the hot outlet to the others otherwise the ground wires aren't doing anything.
    Ed
    Happily retired

Post Thanks / Like

looks good now! I think

Post Thanks / Like

Okay so I got my SSR and no instructions, oh well been trying to find pictures online of one's hooked up and seems most only show how to connect the gpio pins to them not connecting anything else so ok is this right. I know each red wire needs to be together and conector to the main outlet but I couldn't get two wires in the holes on the ssr together so I'm going to use something to conector them all together.
    the black wires are the ones to turn on the outlets. I've only hooked up the first 4 outlets. wanted make sure was right.

FB @ langleylights

Post Thanks / Like

So far so good. The only thing I can see you need is; all the red wires that you have going to the center screw for each relay will need to be connected to the Black wire on the Plug. I made a diagram for you to follow. I was trying to get something together for you to have as a guide. RelyWire.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wirenut1980 View Post
    So far so good. The only thing I can see you need is; all the red wires that you have going to the center screw for each relay will need to be connected to the Black wire on the Plug. I made a diagram for you to follow. I was trying to get something together for you to have as a guide. RelyWire.jpg
    thanks for the diagram, yeah the black wire is huge and doesn't like to bend was going to use it where the red is. but don't have any smaller black wire. I will post when get more finished.

FB @ langleylights

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,

I see several layers of issues at the moment. So I have some questions.

1) How many Amps is each SSR rated?
    2) Do you intend on EVER pushing each SSR to it's limits?

Depending on the answers to these two questions there are a number of specifications that may have to change to ensure electrical safety.

Specifically, I am concerned about overloading wires, plugs, relays, etc. leading to fire, shock, or destroyed equipment.

Regards,

John.

Post Thanks / Like

You could run a separate black wire to each relay and use a connector like this pushinfamily.jpg

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast