Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Does this look right my outlets

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Does this look right my outlets

Quote Originally Posted by Pcguy17 View Post
    Thanks, I think i understand now. I just changed that one wire so this is right now?

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk
    The connections look right now. I would change the green wires to white (except for the ground wire on the first receptacle) and make sure you use black for the hot wires. It might keep you or someone else from electrocuting themselves. For standard house wiring, black is always the hot wire. Someone told me the way to remember is that black means death. I've never forgotten. Again this assumes your SSRs switch line voltage and not the neutral.
    Last edited by ezellner; 11-05-2017 at 01:59 PM.
    Ed
    Happily retired

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ezellner View Post
    The connections look right now. I would change the green wires to white (except for the ground wire on the first receptacle) and make sure you use black for the hot wires. It might keep you or someone else from electrocuting themselves. For standard house wiring, black is always the hot wire. Someone told me the way to remember is that black means death. I've never forgotten. Again this assumes your SSRs switch line voltage and not the neutral.
    alright I'm going to change them to white tonight.
    So there more then one way to switch them on? I'm just trying to do it however needs to be done. again lots utube videos but Noone really goes into details on how to wire it up. guess they assume most understand this stuff more then I do..

FB @ langleylights

Post Thanks / Like

alright I'm going to change them to white tonight.
    So there more then one way to switch them on? I'm just trying to do it however needs to be done. again lots utube videos but Noone really goes into details on how to wire it up. guess they assume most understand this stuff more then I do..

You're dealing with 120 AC, which can be lethal. For the safety of everyone around you, you shouldn't be doing this without a firm grasp of what you're doing. Right now, you're merely doing this based on a hodge-podge of youtube videos and a few random commentors who can't even assess your whole plan/devices.

Look at how easily the rest of us make mistakes in the 12v world. We get a puff of smoke when we mis-wire. At 120v, it's much worse.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bwinter View Post
    You're dealing with 120 AC, which can be lethal. For the safety of everyone around you, you shouldn't be doing this without a firm grasp of what you're doing. Right now, you're merely doing this based on a hodge-podge of youtube videos and a few random commentors who can't even assess your whole plan/devices.

Look at how easily the rest of us make mistakes in the 12v world. We get a puff of smoke when we mis-wire. At 120v, it's much worse.
    Yes they can cause there are people who has done this same thing.. it's just Noone has posted detailed to how to hook it up. The reason why I posted to have other double check what I've done before snything is plugged in so nothing does smoke.

hooking a raspberry pi to ssr for christmas lights isn't new look on YouTube tons have done it just Noone goes into full details of the wiring they just say hey look at my lights.

FB @ langleylights

Post Thanks / Like

Take a look at this - RED are your white wires....couldn't draw white wire this week.
    SSR.JPG
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrGrumpy View Post
    Take a look at this - RED are your white wires....couldn't draw white wire this week.
    SSR.JPG
    Thanks, so your supplying the relay line and power both from.the ssr right
    I thought you only supplied from the relay for making it come on and off

FB @ langleylights

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, so your supplying the relay line and power both from.the ssr right
    I thought you only supplied from the relay for making it come on and off

The neutral should come from the SSR along with the line. I show it with 1 neutral every receptacle because a single wire to all 8 receptacles may be too much load for one wire or one terminal point on the SSR.
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrGrumpy View Post
    The neutral should come from the SSR along with the line. I show it with 1 neutral every receptacle because a single wire to all 8 receptacles may be too much load for one wire or one terminal point on the SSR.
    I had only seen it done with the one wire that seems be how everyone does it so the way you do it you feel gives you better power to each outlet.

FB @ langleylights

Post Thanks / Like

I used this SSR:
    https://www.amazon.com/SainSmart-8-C...ainsmart+relay

it only switches the line or neutral, not both. I chose to switch the line. I tried to draw out a rough diagram of how I did it. Again, I'm not a licensed electrician or anything of the sort, I'm a computer programmer so take it as you wish. If you have questions find someone who understands wiring AC outlets or take it to your local hardware store and ask them to "reality check" your setup before you plug it in.

I used black, white, and green wire as per standard use. my picture has different colors so you can see it.

ssr.png

Post Thanks / Like

The set up looks better. If you can, post the info of the ssr relays you are getting. This way we can draw an accurate wiring diagram to help out. I'm glad you are asking for help so that you can learn. That's what this hobby and fourm are all about.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast