Cheers!
    Steve

Learn 1 new thing everyday.

"AURBO" -- Aurora Borealis

My weather today

Chat link | Christmas Wiki link

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Bug forum closing soon

While I understand multiple password thing I feel the benefits of bugzilla outweigh the issues. Bugzilla offers a single source to track and repair bugs and submit enhancements.

KC and I both work with software on a daily basis. (KC development, me Test) W/O a bug tracker like this, you end up with reams of paper or post-its. The paper method works but isn't visible to the users, they don't know if something is an issue, its been reported, or if there is a work around. Under the current system (forum) KC has to dig through posts to find things that need fixing or dig through emails. If there is a work around users must post that info. With the new system (bugzilla) it’s a single source of info for both KC and the users.

If you don’t use a bug tracker on a regular basis it’s a pain but you get used to it. Bugzilla is one of the nicest I’ve used, I almost replaced the commercial tracker where I work with Bugzilla. I think the forum is a good place to work through issues and when its deemed a “bug” it moves to Bugzilla.
    DMX, RDM, ArtNet, sACN, and RDMnet...the future of DIY Christmas.
    Designer of the PropController an open source single-board hardware platform designed for lighting and prop control.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice to see some discussion Here's my 2 cents.

I think that bugzilla fills a great void, much in the same way as the wiki does. It moves the discussion away from the 'free-for-all' style of a forum to a more structured format.

Apart from the usability stuff, I agree with Brian. Having 3 separate users for 3 separate applications is good for no one. Users shouldn't have to remember 3 logins and admins shouldn't have to make changes in 3 places.

Currently, bugzilla.vixenlights.com is just a CNAME for vbug.m0t.org. If it would be possible at the new host to get a bugzilla install running, a simple DNS swing could move it over. I'd be happy to give all of the current bug database if it could be replaced with a version that authenticates against the current DIYC userbase. Let me know if I can help.

Post Thanks / Like

The good news is the new server has all the access we need, not only to install Bugzilla but also any other application we may need in the future.

The bad news is I do not think Bugzilla can share the user tables from vBulletin.
    There is an alternative, vBulletin Project Tools.

General Features:
    * Adds project management functionality to vBulletin.
    * Unlimited editable issue types allow system to be utilised for any type of project - from developing a software product to building a car
    * Integration into vBulletin user system facilitates group working

Feature Details:
    * Unlimited admin-definable issue types per project (eg: bugs, features, tasks etc.)
    * Extensive searching capabilities with sorting and grouping options
    * Ability to save search parameters to generate reports
    * Ability to subscribe to issues to track their progress and receive notification of updates
    * Issue lists can be viewed both in a sortable tabular form, or in a timeline style
    * Issue status, priority, assigned users etc. can be changed instantly using AJAX technology without visiting an edit page.
    * Issues can be voted upon - useful for gauging interest in a feature or the number of people affected by a bug
    * Issues can be both categorised and tagged to aid in searching and sorting
    * Issues can have files attached
    * A special 'patch' attachment type exists, which will display a human-readable patch diff

Any switch or change would need to be approved by KC.
    Thanks,
    Brian, your friendly site Admin.

Post Thanks / Like

I took a look at Project Tools, while it’s an interesting tool I don't know that it will work as well as Bugzilla. Over the last two years I've had to review a number of bug tracking packages, largely because its open source and has been around for many years. I feel Bugzilla is the best fit for what we intend on doing with it.

Project Tools appears to have the basics of bug tracking covered but I think put all our eggs in one basket is going to be very limiting. vBulletin is a great bulletin board/forum product but they are very new to bug tracking. I’m always a bit skeptical about the “all things to all people” solutions. Personally a bug tracker should be made by folks that make bug trackers and forum should be made by folks who make forums. Then you are getting the best of each world.

While I agree it’s a bummer to have two usernames and passwords the nice things is we can edit each user list independently. In addition if we change forums or want to migrate to a new/better bug tracker we can do so without a lot of trouble. In addition, not everyone in the forum is a Vixen user; further of the Vixen users not everyone will want/need to enter bug reports.
    DMX, RDM, ArtNet, sACN, and RDMnet...the future of DIY Christmas.
    Designer of the PropController an open source single-board hardware platform designed for lighting and prop control.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12