Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Arduino and vixen 3 WS2811 Pixels Help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Arduino and vixen 3 WS2811 Pixels Help

what are you setting the vixen start value to?

Post Thanks / Like

ill set 12 rgb s left en right i have 36 into the controler
    butom al color set
    header at 012

in vixen ill see the 12 pixels
    previeuw shows the efect by blinking on
    dan try to set a efect nothing coms on

can it be a problem with the libary from fast led ?

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a summary from this site: https://create.arduino.cc/projecthub...arduino-527631

1) Upload the code I sent you to your Arduino. Make sure you have #define NUM_LEDS 12 set. Also note which COM port your Arduino is in, this is needed for Vixen
    2) Open Vixen 3. Click Setup Display.
    3) Under Controllers - select the drop down and select Generic Serial - click the + button
    4) New Controller Name: WS2811 - OK - Outputs on this controller? 36
    5) Select your new controller called "WS2811" and click the gear icon under Selected Controller
    Set the following settings:
    Check Send a text header: >>12<<
    Port Name: select the same COM port that you used to upload your sketch to the Arduino
    Baud rate: 115200
    Parity: None
    Data bits: 8
    Stop bits: One

6) Under Elements - select the drop down and select Single Item - hit the + button
    7) New Element Name? Pixels
    8) Right click on the Pixels element > Add Multiple
    Total Number of items: 12
    Name format: Pixel-<1>
    9) Select the Pixels element and click the drop down next to Configure - select Color Handling then the gear icon next to it
    10) Select "They can be any color: they are full RGB and mix to make any color" - hit OK
    11) Under the Elements section, expand "Pixels" and select Pixel-1, hold Shift and select Pixel-100(all pixels should be selected now) - Under Controllers, expand "WS2811" and select Output 1, hold Shift and select Output 36
    12) Hit Patch Elements in the middle under Patching
    13) Hit OK to exit Display Setup

At this point you should have a blinking light on your Arduino. Create a new Sequence and test your work.

Post Thanks / Like

may I thank you very much

for this clear explanation

It works

now I understand why everyone is so happy with pixels
    so nice to select in vixen

think I did something wrong with pixel settings

to come up with some nice things now
    this forum is really a source of inspiration

thanks again

greet henk

hope that the Netherlands will get more color now

Post Thanks / Like

Hi tecnageek,

I have just got back to playing with the lights and have downloaded the sketch to my mega which allows the vixen to feed data to the lights and they work fine, albeit that there is not enough power running through to keep them going.
    I have purchased a 220V to 5V 60A power supply and connected up as I've shown after many looks at youtube.......and a chat with an electrician. The problem I now have is that although Arduino is ready to receive the Vixen data (TX light flashing), as has worked using the Arduino power output only. I am not getting any data through from vixen.

Please find attached a couple of pics showing how it's setup. I'd appreciate any help.
    I am running the mains power on 13A cable to the power supply, connecting the live, neutral and ground. I'm then connecting ground from both the addressable node cable and the Arduino (grounding all three). Also connecting power from addressable node to V+ on the power supply and Data cable from relevant pin on Arduino to data pin on addressable node cable.

Yesterday I had power data and ground running from the Arduino only and the short sequence ran perfectly, which the exception of the first three node being a dim white colour. Now everything is set up the same apart from the power input being the new power supply, which lights up green, so assume is ok but I am getting noting at all. I'v even tried downloading the colorpalette test to the Arduino which is accepted but doesn't run either (worked yesterday).

Advice please!

Many thanks in advance
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have an answer for your question but I do have a question of my own. Why do you have your string's negative wire hooked up to the earth ground and not the negative voltage?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi scarecrowe,

Because all of the videos I have seen with these lights, the blue has been called the ground wire. When I had it connected to my arduino to power the lights, it was a ground and the lights worked perfectly.
    If you are telling me that you have experience and know that the two wires are positive and the blue negative then I will try that and see.
    Please advise if you’d be kind enough

Many thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Besty View Post
    Hi scarecrowe,

Because all of the videos I have seen with these lights, the blue has been called the ground wire. When I had it connected to my arduino to power the lights, it was a ground and the lights worked perfectly.
    If you are telling me that you have experience and know that the two wires are positive and the blue negative then I will try that and see.

Many thanks
    Typically, on this forum and on many strings, the V- is called ground (gnd). It should not be confused with earth ground. You need V- (GND) from the Arduino to be connected to the V- (GND) on the lights AND V- on the PSU. In essence, all of the V- sources and sinks must be connected together.

FYI: DO NOT ASSUME BLUE MEANS GND. Verify using your eyes. Not all strings come with the same color codes.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

9. Likes ScareCrowe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Besty View Post
    Hi scarecrowe,

Many thanks
    I would connect the blue wire to the V- terminal. I have mine that way and it works.

I'm definitely not an electrician, but I am pretty sure Earth Ground is typically just AC main power. I don't think you should have anything connected to that terminal except the ground wire from the wall plug, assuming you are using a 3-prong plug.

Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks Martin and Scarecrowe,

I have now changed the setup and connected the blue (ground) from the arduino to the v- on the PSU. I have also connected the blue (ground) cable from the lights to the same v- as the arduino on the PSU. V+ is is running directly to the lights.

However, I've uploaded the colourpalette sketch to the arduino, but the lights do nothing. I have also disconnected the PSU completely and reconnected the lights to the arduino......ground, 5v power and data........still getting nothing. Is it possible that I may have damaged the first rgb node?
    If I pull the 5v power jumper cable from the light string connector and gently wriggle it back in, the lights do work.......however, the first one has not flickered at all!

My questions:
    Did I connected it correctly as per your replies?
    Should I being doing something else?
    Could it be the first rgb node?

Thanks again in advance

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast