Thread: New for 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Default New for 2017

I have three new cut outs for this season. My youngest daughter wanted an emoji one. You can't go wrong with Pokemon Pikachu. I wanted the Grinch. Our prelit indoor tree failed last year so now it will move to the outdoor display for the Grinch to pull lights off of.

20170923_151205.jpg20170923_151241.jpg20170923_151324.jpg
    lights, blow molds, and cut outs; no blinky-flashy yet

2. Likes dfrosty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New for 2017

I went for a new mounting system this year. I wanted something that could be removed to get back to just a flat piece of plywood for easier storage. I settled on using 1/2" conduit for the pole. I modified mounting straps to have a notch so cut out couldn't slide down on the pole or twist. I flatten one end of the conduit for ease of sticking it into the ground. I cover the top of the conduit to keep water out.

Strap with a notch.
    20170923_152533.jpg

A screw that is proud in the conduit to fit into the notch.
    20170923_152654.jpg

Here is the assembled conduit strapped to a piece of plywood. I use two straps per cut out. The conduit screw is not tightened down on to the strap, rather almost touching strap.
    20170923_153208.jpg

Carefully drill pilot holes in the plywood without going through. I use a 1/2" #8 screws. To properly locate the screw holes in the conduit do a trial assemble and use a marker. Then drill pilot holes in the conduit and add screws.

I will have to spend some time assembling/dis-assembling each year but my storage is limited.
    lights, blow molds, and cut outs; no blinky-flashy yet

Post Thanks / Like

The solution I came up with to keep the cutouts flat for storage was tee nuts. I just drill holes thru the cutout and insert tee nuts from the front side. Then I use 1/4-20 bolts from the backside to attach to the stakes. I use the u channel snow fence posts. They have 1/4 holes already so its a good fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    The solution I came up with to keep the cutouts flat for storage was tee nuts. I just drill holes thru the cutout and insert tee nuts from the front side. Then I use 1/4-20 bolts from the backside to attach to the stakes. I use the u channel snow fence posts. They have 1/4 holes already so its a good fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aren't those posts really expensive?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    ~Jason
    [URL]http://www.tooz.us[/URL]