Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Connecting to Vixen HELP!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Connecting to Vixen HELP!!!

Need help connecting to Vixen!!!!!!

I have everything connected, the arduino communicates with the relay board. I know this because the self test works. When you connect power to the arduino, it cycles through all the relay switches, 1 - 16. It also does this when you press the reset button on the arduino.* But when i try running a sequence in vixen, nothing happens.

1. Do I need to use a USB to usb to serial adapter? Or just plug the usb from arduino Into Pc?
    2. Script: only thing I have scripted is a self test. Do I need to script something for the connection to PC (vixen)? Does anyone have something I can use or template

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Connecting to Vixen HELP!!!

check out the sketch in the following thread - http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...th-Random-mode
    Kevin

2016 - 184 channels of Blinking/Flashing using 4 Arduino MEGAs and cheap home-made props.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kev View Post
    check out the sketch in the following thread - http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...th-Random-mode
    Great thank you I read the entire thread and it should help with part 2. But I still can’t figure out part 1.

Do I need something like this to connect arduino mega to vixen?

https://m.imgur.com/ACNklF7

If so why can’t I just use the standard USB port on the arduino and make it a comm port?

Really appreciate the help.

Post Thanks / Like

You can use a USB cable.
    In vixen create a generic serial connection and each patch point is a relay channel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tecnageek View Post
    You can use a USB cable.
    In vixen create a generic serial connection and each patch point is a relay channel.

Question i have an external power supply coming into the Arduino, can I have foreign power and the USB connected into the Arduino at the same time? I'm using an Arduno Mega.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are asking "Can I have an external power supply connected to the DC Power Input plug at the same time that you are connected to your computer with the USB cable, then answer is yes.
    Kevin

2016 - 184 channels of Blinking/Flashing using 4 Arduino MEGAs and cheap home-made props.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are asking "Can I have an external power supply connected to the DC Power Input plug at the same time that you are connected to your computer with the USB cable, then answer is yes.
    Not the DC power input plug but the 5v input pin and the USB connected to the Pc.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I have everything up and running. Just trying to find out if I need a serial TTL to talk to vixen or I can use the USB with out worrying of catching fire to the arduino.

Post Thanks / Like

Can you post a couple of pictures of your MEGA and relay board and power supply (foreign power) setup??
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Can you post a couple of pictures of your MEGA and relay board and power supply (foreign power) setup??

Yes of course thanks for the assistance.

So I have a 12v pluged-into the relay board > then from the relay board back to the VIN and Ground pins on the arduino > and then arduino plugged into the pc “vixen” via USB.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if this helps, but i was having issues getting my USB dongle to work and it ended up being a simple check box in Vixen software. In the set up area I had to select my Renard controller and then go to the settings and turn it on. It took me a week of hair pulling to figure that out! I was about to scrap everything and go with different software and controllers.

I hope you get your problems figured out soon, I understand your pain!

Dale P.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast