Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The new Gemmy LED Light Strings

Central (like the actual center) PA , USA
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The new Gemmy LED Light Strings

I saw the new strings at Home Depot
    http://www.gemmy.com/product.cfm?pro...=350&parent=44

video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmUQOojG6QU

They state that they can sync up between light sets. This to me means there is some kind of communication between them. Anyone purchase these with the intent to hack? These may be good for show shortcut fill in stuff (when you don't need or want to create a complete effect in vixen lets say, just want some thing cool to happen at some point).

Anyone out there with the resources to buy with intent to hack?

Tony M.
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary, those that don't and some who know Gray encoding.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The new Gemmy LED Light Strings

i did see these at lowes. They are pricey, but look very promising. Not sure if you have seen them up close. I saw them threw the package, they have multiple wires going to the lights, if i recall 4 wires to each light? I could not see if they had a ussual type of controller or what.
    Last edited by Josh; 11-02-2008 at 07:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw the demo Home Depot had for those icicle lights...
    and all i can say is 'very cool'

I'd love to have some, but at $19/set i think i'll pass LOL
    [[b]24[/b] Channels] [[b]1[/b] 486dx 33mhz PC] [[b]3.11[/b] Windows Ver] [[b]0[/b] Sound!]

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I accidentally just made a topic on this. I am really leaning towards seeing a hack. I'd spend the cash as long as I can program them and replace all the lights on my bushes with these.
    My Setup:
    2 Chauvet DMX 4 channel dimmers
    1 Chauvet DMX XPRESS 100 interface
    5000+ lights

Post Thanks / Like

My brother's neighbors just bought a bunch of these. Out of 6 sets they said they had 2 that were bad and had to be returned. The one's that are working look great though.

Post Thanks / Like

Why is it that after a year or two of me getting into something, Corporate America makes an insulting version of whatever that any trailer tra$h h1ck without a brain can put on their RV.

Nothing like spending hundreds on DIY hardware, and hours programming, to have someone look at your display and say "Yeah, I saw something like that at Walmart or Home Depot or Lowes". Makes me feel like products like this is ruining the fun and reputation that us DIYers have worked hard to create, while someone comes along and rips off a half @$$ed version of it.

Anyone else feel the same way?
    [SIZE=1][I]48 Channel Olsen 595[/I]
    [I]16 Channel Renard[/I] XMUS
    [I]64 Channel Renard[/I] XB
    [I]25,000 Lights 2009[/I][/SIZE]
    [B][SIZE=1]4 Mega Trees, 5 Arches[/SIZE][/B]
    [I][B][URL="http://www.AltoonaLights.com"]www.AltoonaLights.com[/URL][/B][/I]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Photovor View Post
    Anyone else feel the same way?
    I think DIY is about doing it yourself, learning, saving $$$, pride from doing something great yourself, I mean how many people do you know that can do what you do ? Put all this together and have your own custom show ? I am not sure I can agree its about competition with corporate America. You know your stuff rocks don't worry about the others that have no clue what it takes or if the Wallmart stuff looks similar regain your perspective and enjoy your hard work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ctmal View Post
    My brother's neighbors just bought a bunch of these. Out of 6 sets they said they had 2 that were bad and had to be returned. The one's that are working look great though.
    Not a good sign... for as much as they cost to hear that someone
    had 2 out of 6 (or 33%) bad right away is just unacceptable.
    makes one wonder how they'll hold up in the long run?
    [[b]24[/b] Channels] [[b]1[/b] 486dx 33mhz PC] [[b]3.11[/b] Windows Ver] [[b]0[/b] Sound!]

Post Thanks / Like

Well one advantage yours will have is the ability to change the program to do different effects.

Post Thanks / Like

From what I can gather, they only support seven colors (R, G, B, R+G, R+B, B+G, R+B+G) and no dimming.

They were on the shelves at our local Lowes about 3 weeks ago, but they were gone yesterday. Not sure why.

Thought about grabbing a handful to play with & was hoping to be able to drive them with my own hardware.

Ah, well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast