Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice on how to create Drumset prop

Post Thanks / Like

Default Advice on how to create Drumset prop

So in a perfect world, I would have the money to use an actual drumset for my display. I would place pixels or dumb nodes inside each drum to have it light up in sync with the music. Anybody have any ideas on how to build a simple, low cost prop for this? Doesn't have to be pro, as long as it's recognizable as drums. Even a mini version would work

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Advice on how to create Drumset prop

I myself need to build a drum set prop for my animated snowman to play.. I was going to make it out of different sized buckets and some conjured up hardware.. Perhaps a water tub for the base drum.. Not sure yet. That is on my long list of stuff to do.. if you come up with any ideas.. please post.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I may use coro and make the drums. I just need to figure out how to make solid rings to hold it all in the original shapes. Perhaps plywood cut in rings.. I could do 1/2" flat bar and roll it... figuring that part out..

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to add drums and guitar this year but renos got in the way (may not have Halloween up this year).
    My thought on this was simple:
    -Use 3/4" clear PEX to make the hoops (top and bottom)
    -Use coro to create the skin for the drum.
    Was planning on using dumb RGB strip inside the pex (pex diffuses it very well).
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

I would want clear (acrylic/vistalite) drums for the best lighting effect. https://i.pinimg.com/originals/8d/f4...717365f522.jpg But probably not in the budget. If I was dead set, I'd probably grab a kids set http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kids-Toy-Mus...-/162708870610 and some acrylic sheet from the borg and use the shells as a jig to heat and shape clear shells. Hide the seam with the hardware/lugs. Coro could probably work and be alot cheaper too. Run the ribs running perpendicular to heads.

I did a pro lighting gig a couple years ago for them but last year they did a Prince tribute complete with instruments. http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburb...202-story.html

Post Thanks / Like

My only problem with that kids set is that it is too small for what I want to do. I want to hide most of my snow man so that I can fake the hand movements easier..

Post Thanks / Like

Check out Craiglist/pawnshops/music stores for used kits. Entry level used kits are cheap. There are sets on CL near me for $75. Maybe give the metal wipe down with some rust prevention. Happy to talk drums as I've played a long time.

Post Thanks / Like

I looked on Craigslist.. no luck.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm reviving this thread rather than start a new one, as I'm planning on trying to achieve this for this December. Any thoughts? Things like coro sound good maybe for the drum skins, but how would you do the rest? Getting used cheaper drum sets would sound tempting, but for me at least, I live in Vancouver, Bc, Canada. We are Guaranteed regular large rainfalls during the period of the show. Average December rainfall in my area is approximately 220mm!! For my American brothers, that's 8.66 inches!....Average. Having even an old drum set outside for that is a recipe for looking like utter sh*t lol. I'd be happy with anything that gives the look of the drumset. For some reason, I could see semi transparent material being better than clear, as it would diffuse the lighting instead of making it pin point.

Post Thanks / Like

It occurs to me I have a ton of potential free coro at my disposal because we have an election up here soon and are drowning in coro signs everywhere. Once over those are usually landfill bound. Now the question is what do I do to make the original printed content and colors not be visible once lit up? I would obviously paint over it, but no idea if it would still show

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast