Thread: Sync to external Audio track

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sync to external Audio track

Hi Team,
    I'm new at Vixen.. Please give me an idea if I can sync (sound beat at least) the sequence to sound track playing by "external" player? Say I want to make sound to light but I see only possibility to use
    "associated" audio track. Is it possible to use signal from Line-in or WinAmp or another player working on the same computer (or direct sound (Stereo mix))?
    Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sync to external Audio track

Read thru the instructions and or look on YouTube. There are many videos on using Vixen. You can load an audio file into the sequence that you are working on. The audio waveform is then displayed in the sequence so you can set your lights to turn on and off with it. The same audio file will play on the computer through the output. This is what you use to "external" play the music when your show is running.

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...als-and-videos

Post Thanks / Like

There is no way to sync vixen with an external source. Vixen is designed as a sequencer not as a effect player. That is, itís designed to give instructions, not to receive them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Thanks mkhitrov thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeh65 View Post
    Read thru the instructions and or look on YouTube. There are many videos on using Vixen. You can load an audio file into the sequence that you are working on. The audio waveform is then displayed in the sequence so you can set your lights to turn on and off with it. The same audio file will play on the computer through the output. This is what you use to "external" play the music when your show is running.

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...als-and-videos
    Hi,
    Sorry, I might be asked my question not very clear...
    I know how to sync Vixen with embedded audio track, no problem with that... But what if I wish to sync the lights with say, live band plays in your yard.. Or DJ plays his set? Looks like there is no way to sync to Line-In...

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jon,
    Thank you for reply! I got it.. Pity... I wish to use it with live DJ set using Audio track beat as a sync for the sequence..
    Can I place "Sync to External Track" on a Vixen features wish list?
    Thank you, Michael

Post Thanks / Like

You can create a feature request on bugs.vixenlights.com. But Iíll be honest that it wonít be very high on the priority list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mkhitrov View Post
    Hi Jon,
    Thank you for reply! I got it.. Pity... I wish to use it with live DJ set using Audio track beat as a sync for the sequence..
    Can I place "Sync to External Track" on a Vixen features wish list?
    Thank you, Michael
    What are you actually wanting to do with this sync? Vixen does not automatically sequence lights for you. You would not be able to just play some random music and have the lights do something. More likely is a way to start a specific sequence that you have already programmed to run on demand.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffu231 View Post
    What are you actually wanting to do with this sync? Vixen does not automatically sequence lights for you. You would not be able to just play some random music and have the lights do something. More likely is a way to start a specific sequence that you have already programmed to run on demand.

Jeff
    Actually, I see many ways how to use it, from simple to more complex:
    - sync light blinks to sound beat
    - make " Trees UV meter" with addressable LED strips or just using individually controlled LED strings
    - make a "light to sound" RGB effect using simple spectrum analyzer.

Use embedded sound track is not always practical - again - in case of live music, DJ set, karaoke - you can't predict and add the sound track to the project..

Some players like old WinAmp have of plug-ins for beat and spectrum extraction for instance. (BTW: WinAmp has an option to work with Line-In as a signal source )

Thank you, Michael

Post Thanks / Like

What you're asking for is a tall order. None of vixen's effects process audio as it's playing. Only 3 of the effects interact with audio at all. And they work by analyzing the audio in advance and rendering the effect for the given alignment to the audio track. They would not be able to do this in real time. Even if vixen were able to take a line input, none of the effects would do anything with it. New effects would need to be created that use the audio information as input to it's drawing parameters.

There are programs out there that already will do what you're looking for. Lightjams and Madrix come to mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jon,
    Thank you very much for explanation! No means No.. Anywhere Vixen is very good and powerful.. I just tried to use it as lighting effects creator for our artcar for next Burning Man
    PS: I know number of lighting control SW supporting sound-to-light function (close to real time). no problem! for my projects I use free DMXControl: bugggggy but works