Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: no DMX output?

Post Thanks / Like

Default no DMX output?

Hi Team,
    I'm new at Vixen but I like it already.. I tried to design my first setup and I got nothing at DMX controller output.
    I tried Enttec DMX Pro, Enttec DMX Open - no output..
    But Preview shows working sequence and if I patch "Debugging Outputs" or "Dummy lighting" they show activity at the outputs.
    The same Enttec DMX Pro and Enttec DMX Open are functional - I may use them at the same machine with different lighting control software.
    Pleas advise what I do wrong with Vixen output....
    Thank you, Michael

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: no DMX output?

What kind of controller are you using?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Dmx pro and dmx open are two different kinds of controllers. They use different communication methods. So itís important to know which you have and use the appropriate output type in vixen.
    There have been several reports of dmx open devices not working correctly with the 64 bit vixen version. But here are just as many reports of it working properly. It seems to have something to do with drivers. But we havenít been able to replicate the problem on our test machines. If itís a driver problem, there will be an error in the log showing that it cannot open the port or an IO error.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jon,
    Thank you for reply!
    I tried to use both Enttec DMX Pro and Enttec Open DMX. Not simultaneously of course!
    I don't thing it's adriver problem - I can use these adapters at the same computer with DMCControl SW with no problem for example.
    What's correct Vixen COMx setting for DMX Pro? Strange - Vixen shows me DMXPro at COM5 but actually DMXPro occupies COM3.. I can manually change COM5 to COM3 but when next time I open DMX configuration it shows me COM5 again! And baudrate is always 57600...
    Is it some "DMX out Enable" button somewhere in Vixen I couldn't find
    Thank you, Michael
    PS: I've tried DMXKing Pro dongle but Vixen couldn't see it at all..

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Dave,
    I've tried Enntec DMX Pro and Enntec DMX Open. Also tried DMXKing Pro..
    No outputs
    The same controllers work at the same computer with DMXController SW for instance..
    Regards, Michael

Post Thanks / Like

Your device is either one or the other. It's not a matter of trying both, it's a matter of figuring out which you own.

The DMXKing hardware is a DMX pro Device.

DMX pro devices use a serial port (com port). The software sends specially formatted lighting data over a [virtual] com port that the device then buffers and uses to build a DMX stream.

DMX open devices do NOT use a com port. It uses the "direct driver" (called the D2XX driver). That doesn't mean that windows doesn't try to install one when you plug it in though. The underlying hardware of a DMX open device is the FTDI USB to TTL serial chip. This is one of the most common interface chips out there and is used in tons of stuff besides just DMX dongles. One of the more common things it's used for is USB to serial adapters. So when windows sees the FTDI chip, it automatically installs the full FTDI driver package. (called the CDM package for Common Driver Model) This includes the D2XX driver and the Virtual COM Port (VCP). In windows device manager, It shows up as two devices. IN the "universal serial bus devices" section, you'll see the "USB Serial Converter". And in the "Ports" section You'll see the USB Serial Port.
    Both of these drivers have 32 bit and 64 bit interfaces. Something appears to not work right with the D2XX driver on the 64 bit side when the USB Serial Port is installed. At least in the current version that's automatically getting installed.

But it doesn't seem to be consistent. Some people have the problem, and others don't None of the developers have been able to replicate the problem, it works fine for us.

Vixen is the only 64 bit lighting software out there (to my knowledge). All of those others like DMX Controller and freestyler and QLC+ are 32 bit programs. So you can't rule out drivers. The 64 bit programs use a different part of the driver package than the 32 bit programs do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mkhitrov View Post
    Hi Dave,
    I've tried Enntec DMX Pro and Enntec DMX Open. Also tried DMXKing Pro..
    No outputs
    The same controllers work at the same computer with DMXController SW for instance..
    Regards, Michael
    So as I understand it, you actually have two separate physical devices that work with other software but neither will work with Vixen.

Two problems that I had that you might look at - when you click on the gear icon to configure the controller the pop up window always pre-fills the settings with something other than what you've already set. At the top of that same box if you look closely it will say 'currently configured for COMx' but it does not show you baud etc. (Kind of confusing). 2nd issue, after you make settings and click OK to Save, look on the panel on the right and make sure the device is active. Some times you have to actually click on the arrow at the bottom of the screen to activate the device.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jon,
    >it's a matter of figuring out which you own.
    I own all of them and many more other DMX controllers - I'm an Electronic engineer having Theatrical lighting as a hobby
    Good point about 32/64 bit drivers for FTDI chip.. Let me try to install 64 bit version..
    Thank you, Michael

Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind that dmx open only allows for one dongle. In fact. If you have more than one ftdi device connected yo your pc vixen wonít know which to use. Even if the other one is a dmx pro using a Com port, if itís ftdi based, it will likely confuse the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

No, no.. I have not use these FTDI based devices simultaneously

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast