Thread: Arduino "4 port" controller

Post Thanks / Like

Default Arduino "4 port" controller

Noob to Arduino (except for tweaking and loading a Komblinkin sketch) but I seem to be grasping some of the very basics and interested in learning more. I am curious if an Arduino could be used to as a "subcontroller" of sorts. In my mind I could take a Falcon controller and program a port for 128 (or more, hopefully 512) pixels of 2811, send this data to arduino, where by sketch I could output 4 smaller data streams to (4) 32 pixel props with (that have different channel assignments) along with power from an injector of course. I think in order to do this, the data sent to would need to be copied and sent to 3 more input pins so it could be customized and outputted to 4 others. IE 128 pixel data from F16 port to arduino to 4 (32) pixel trees each being 1-32, 33-64, 65-96, 97-128 respectively. Clear as mud? This seems to be awfully basic for all the cool stuff I see using Arduino (no wireless/networking/etc). Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Arduino "4 port" controller

I like your creative thinking. Love open hardware like the arduino and seeing others creations with it. not that this is the solution your looking for.. but The falcon controllers do have DMX 512 output allowing other devices to become that "subcontroller" The DMX ports have 512 of channels or 170 Pixels worth. I beleive they have a second DMX port so you could do another 170 pixels worth to another device. The only issue I see is if you want to drive more than 170/340 your at a dead end with the arduino concept. Instead your going to have to look at an entire different platform. Arduino can run pixels but when it comes to high pixel count your really exceeding it ability to do so. There are other platforms that can handle more but in different connected ways. Teensy and esp8266 are common powerfull chips (that use arduino IDE) and can handle higher pixel processing. But the teensy and esp would get its best capability running as a controller and not a sub. Its not uncommon to have multiple controllers (small and big) in a show.
    Last edited by crees; 10-12-2017 at 02:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Arduino "4 port" controller

Thanks for playing along! No argument the arduino is probably not the best solution for everyone but it would work for me. At this point this is mainly academic for me. I’d like to learn how to do it. I am actually a bit excited that I was right that it can actually be done. That said, I wish there was a push to develop “prop per port” stuff. I am never going to power inject and will run small pixel count props from a single port. The ideal board for me is 128-150 pixels per port since that’s basically max power (12v) for a strand. Might not the most popular choice but I know I am not alone. Something like your new edge controller but with 8 outs maybe. The RenardPlus datasplitter is dangerously close but I think they plan to keep it 3 outs and that’s a deal killer for me.