Thread: Last string won't behave...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Last string won't behave...

Howdy,

I have a 682 with the latest version of Vixen.

My Megatree is 10 strands of 120 pixels each (60 up/ 60 down).

I also have a 270 pixel "mega star" but will leave that out of the equation for now since my problem exists with or without it.

In the 682 (unicast, Universes 1-12, 510 channels each), I have one string per output (120px x 3 for 360 channels), so 1-1 to 3-2 are setup as length of 120, RGB, first zig at 60, 50% power.

All the test patterns in the 682 work great (all pixels respond as expected).
    ---------------
    In Vixen, and I have been watching all I can find/ read, I setup a megatree, and tried a couple different ways:

I tried with 10 strings of 120 pixels, then in preview setup, told it that there were 20 strings of 60 pixels - all but the last 1/2 of the last string light!
    I tried with 20 strings of 60 pixels, same issue, last 60 pixels won't light

I tried setting up the controller with the full 6120 channels (12 x 510) and no different
    I tried setting up the controller with 3600 channels (120 x 3 x 10) and 7 universes of 510 and a last one of 30 to get me to 3600 and same result
    --------------
    I have deleted, re-added, and tried basically everything I can think of with no joy - running out of steam for the night and figured I would post to the board so someone could just point out the one little thing I keep missing ;-)

As an aside, I think there is some kind of channel mis-match because earlier when I had the star and tree going, that last string was doing what I was telling the star to do - a real non-conformist I tell ya. Anyway, I must be adding something up wrong and would really appreciate any help. I would include screen shots (I have from my E682, but I have tore apart Vixen again and would rather have proper guidance before rebuilding it again.)

First year with this - spend months building all the controllers and remote power supplies as well as the 2, 682's - had a blast getting everything build and tested in the shop and hope I'm leaving enough time to program it all. I won't be making a music house this first year out - just want to make a 10 minute loop or something of effects scattered around the yard with all the other "static" lighting.

Thanks in advance,
    Charlie-

PS - 3-3 to 4-1 are the outputs for the star - just weren't removed for this picture.

Screen Shot 2017-10-11 at 8.21.05 PM.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Last string won't behave...

It sounds as if the pixels aren't patched to the controller on the last 60 pixels. Double check your patching setup in Vixen.

Post Thanks / Like

In Vixen you will want to add a Megatree element that is 20 strings by 60 pixels (the physical layout of your tree), then you will want to set the color handling to be "Any Color, Full RGB" and set the color order if the pixels, RGB, GBR, BRG..., for the Controller you need to create a single Streaming ACN (E1.31) w/ at least 4410 (last channel U9C330) or just finish out U9 and set outputs to 4590. Then Select the Megatree element and the controller and patch the elements (3600) you are having the controller handle the Zig-Zag so no fancy patching needed. For the E1.31 setup (gear at the bottom) your are going to need to add all 9 universes to the configuration, size 510 (again you could stop U9 at 330 to match your actual setup) and set the IP address

PixelTree.jpg PixelTree2.jpg
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ruppro View Post
    In Vixen you will want to add a Megatree element that is 20 strings by 60 pixels (the physical layout of your tree), then you will want to set the color handling to be "Any Color, Full RGB" and set the color order if the pixels, RGB, GBR, BRG..., for the Controller you need to create a single Streaming ACN (E1.31) w/ at least 4410 (last channel U9C330) or just finish out U9 and set outputs to 4590. Then Select the Megatree element and the controller and patch the elements (3600) you are having the controller handle the Zig-Zag so no fancy patching needed. For the E1.31 setup (gear at the bottom) your are going to need to add all 9 universes to the configuration, size 510 (again you could stop U9 at 330 to match your actual setup) and set the IP address

PixelTree.jpg PixelTree2.jpg
    Matt (and others),
    Thanks for the feedback. This morning I deleted everything and started again per Matt's instructions. I have included screenshots this time. When I get into the sequencing part of it, I simply picked the color white and looped it on the whole tree. Again, string 20 won't light.
    I then drug that effect from string 1 to 2, 3, etc. and here is what lights when I do that:
    String 1 lights 60 px (1/2)
    String 2 none
    String 3 lights 120 px (up/down)
    String 4 none
    String 5 120
    String 6 none
    String 7 120
    String 8 none
    String 9 120
    String 10 none
    String 11 120
    String 12 none
    String 13 120
    String 14 none
    String 15 120
    String 16 none
    String 17 120
    String 18 none
    String 19 120
    String 20 none

I am really confused at this point. Any ideas?
    Best,
    Charlie-
    Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 9.41.47 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2017-10-12 at 9.40.35 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2017-10-12 at 9.40.25 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-10-12 at 9.40.14 AM.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CFPSystems View Post
    Matt (and others),
    Thanks for the feedback. This morning I deleted everything and started again per Matt's instructions. I have included screenshots this time. When I get into the sequencing part of it, I simply picked the color white and looped it on the whole tree. Again, string 20 won't light.
    I then drug that effect from string 1 to 2, 3, etc. and here is what lights when I do that:
    String 1 lights 60 px (1/2)
    String 2 none
    String 3 lights 120 px (up/down)
    String 4 none
    String 5 120
    String 6 none
    String 7 120
    String 8 none
    String 9 120
    String 10 none
    String 11 120
    String 12 none
    String 13 120
    String 14 none
    String 15 120
    String 16 none
    String 17 120
    String 18 none
    String 19 120
    String 20 none

I am really confused at this point. Any ideas?
    Best,
    Charlie-
    Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 9.41.47 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2017-10-12 at 9.40.35 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2017-10-12 at 9.40.25 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-10-12 at 9.40.14 AM.jpg
    Your tree should be set up as 20 strings of 60 pixels. From the above, it looks like you have 20 strings of 120 pixels. If you want, we could do a Teamviewer connection so I could look at all the details which are hard to post all the screen shots of. Depending on how new your pixels are, some have new chips which require a longer reset time. Try changing the reset time from 150 ns to 300 ns to eliminate this as a possibility.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ezellner View Post
    Your tree should be set up as 20 strings of 60 pixels. From the above, it looks like you have 20 strings of 120 pixels. If you want, we could do a Teamviewer connection so I could look at all the details which are hard to post all the screen shots of. Depending on how new your pixels are, some have new chips which require a longer reset time. Try changing the reset time from 150 ns to 300 ns to eliminate this as a possibility.
    Many thanks to Ed who helped troubleshoot the issue with me. Turns out that there is a bug in the SanDevices firmware (tried two flavors of version 5), where, with "Zig after" was set to 60 for each of my 10 strings. The last string was plugged into output 3-2 and it would not light the last 60 of that string through Vixen (but was fine through the E682 web page).

Ed confirmed that all of my Vixen settings were correct, and a long call with Jim at SanDevices uncovered that there is indeed some kind of bug in the addressing table when being controlled from the outside (Vixen in this case).

Workaround is that I turned off the zig-after setting on all 10 strings and reversed every even-numbered string in Vixen before patching it to the controller. Everything works as expected now. Jim is aware of the issue and will surely be trying to find a more permanent solution.

On to the next element!

7. Likes ezellner liked this post