Thread: Mounting Hole Standard

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mounting Hole Standard

The only available mounting plates I've found for enclosures are from Bud Industries. I don't want to push a specific vendor or product but would like to suggest a standard spacing for PCB mounting holes. If the DIY controllers, distribution boards, RF Filters, Extenders, etc used a fixed standard then mounting would be much easier. Placing holes where the CG-XXXX enclosure has a mounting point is restrictive and makes it difficult to add other components to an enclosure. Many of us use plexi or something similar to cope with the problem.

I inquired about spacing on the Bud Industries mounting plates and their reply was 5mm (.197"). If this was used as a standard then we could use the Bud Industry plates and/or other people could make and sell plates for other enclosures (CG-XXXX).

Unfortunately 5mm doesn't work out for mounting a Raspberry Pi but it should be easy to make a 3d printed case for it that does. The Beaglebone doesn't line up to 5mm either but it might be close enough to sneak in 2 or 3 screws.

I'd like opinions on setting a standard, whether it's 5mm or something else. Worth the effort or not?

Think how easy it would be to build or modify an enclosure without drilling holes!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Mounting Hole Standard

You do not have to drill holes. I have used plastic cutting boards and just used #4 wood screws and spacers cut from icemaker tubing cut in about 1/2' pieces. You may have to drill ho,e for mounting the cutting board for your enclosure but so be it.
    Jim Nealand
    Kennesaw, Ga

Post Thanks / Like

5mm seems pretty small (good way). I like it. And you are right... using the spacing on the cgxxxx is a terrible standard going forward.
    Are there any of the existing controllers, power supplies, accessories that have that spacing? aka...are we barking up the wrong tree?

Post Thanks / Like

Some PCB's were designed to match various points in the CG cases and it looks like others have used what fits best with their board layout. I'm not sure we'll find an evenly spaced layout with any existing DIY hardware. The mounting holes on a MeanWell are spaced 50mm and 150mm, which are even increments of 5 and 10mm. Another nice feature of a standard is that it can be used in any enclosure. Just buy/make a mounting board with the correct spacing.

I've been using a similar approach to what Jim mentioned above. I usually get a piece of plexi from Home Depot and use 1/4" fuel line over #6 screws. It takes a while to to plan the layout and changing it isn't trivial. I also trim down the CG-XXXX mounting points so the plexi will sit flat. The mounting points are not all the same height.

Post Thanks / Like

A forster bit works great for taking off the extra mounting points. Been doing that for 7 or 8 years.
    Jim Nealand
    Kennesaw, Ga

Post Thanks / Like

I use 1/8" plywood inside my BUD boxes. Wood is more versatile and easier to work with. I use my 3D printer to make standoffs for all my boards.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pmiller View Post
    I use 1/8" plywood inside my BUD boxes. Wood is more versatile and easier to work with. I use my 3D printer to make standoffs for all my boards.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
    Glad I'm not the only one working with wood in my enclosure

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. Likes FIRECOP252 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I use WHITE ABS PLASTIC SHEET 1/8" and 1/4" No splitting or cracking when drilled.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/WHITE-ABS-PL....c100290.m3507

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stallionent View Post
    I use WHITE ABS PLASTIC SHEET 1/8" and 1/4" No splitting or cracking when drilled.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/WHITE-ABS-PL....c100290.m3507
    Same but with black ABS. Ordered 4 12x12 sheets for like $10.
    LANCE

Find me on Facebook atCHRISTMAS ON PLANTATION

2017 might look promising for a show