Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RenardESP Guidelines

Post Thanks / Like

Question RenardESP Guidelines

I thought I'd get an early start on the display and debug a few things. Well my RenardESP woes continue.

What is wrong with this setup (ignore the pole its temporary)? Access point is upper left and ESP lower right ~15ft. away clear line of sight. I had to reboot this ESP 3 times to get it to connect. And when it did I couldn't pull up the web page. I have 2 of 6 that work reliably; all have clear line of sight to the AP.

ESP03.jpg

Are there guidelines for orientation of the ESP relative the AP. Should I try/order some new ESP modules? They always seemed flaky for the distances I'm using them across (<100ft.)

104 Renard SS Channels and Counting

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: RenardESP Guidelines

Can you get a shot of the controller, to see placement of ESP? I have been seeing some issues where the ESP won't connect, seems to be picky about its location in relation to the controller. I am assuming interference from the controller, because the same unit when moved away from the controller will works fine.
    Matt 2016, 1st Show

Post Thanks / Like

I mounted each on a 40 or 50mm long dowel like so;

IMG_SS16.jpgIMG_SS24.jpgIMG_SS24b.jpg

I removed the heat sink, and mounted opposite the transformer.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, could you do close up photos of the front (non-pin) side of the ESPs stating which ones are good and which not so good. It’s starting to look like there are some bad clones about.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you using Bill's latest firmware or Shelby's. I ask because I had issues with Bill's and modified my boards to use Shelby's. I use Microsoft Edge to access the UI and the problem I had with Bill's was I couldn't access the UI with Edge, Chrome or Firefox. I would get UI pages not filled in with data or not completely loaded. Shelby's had some issues in Firefox and Chrome, but works well with Edge. I have 2 RenardESP's in the Halloween display right now. One on the roof and one in a box on the ground. I have a very narrow beam Ubiquiti Nano Loco AP in the yard and so far they have stayed connected and working for 10 days.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabybear View Post
    Hi, could you do close up photos of the front (non-pin) side of the ESPs stating which ones are good and which not so good. Itís starting to look like there are some bad clones about.
    I was wondering the same thing, bad clones. All my modules are 1MB but set on blue PCB. The silk screen is very hard to make out.

I just received 4 new from a US distributor, previous ones were direct from china through Germany I believe.

IMG_ESP.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scootchu View Post
    Are you using Bill's latest firmware or Shelby's. I ask because I had issues with Bill's and modified my boards to use Shelby's. I use Microsoft Edge to access the UI and the problem I had with Bill's was I couldn't access the UI with Edge, Chrome or Firefox.
    Bill's firmware. I use firefox, or the Win7 IE. Chrome just did not load properly on the machine.

I have a very narrow beam Ubiquiti Nano Loco AP in the yard and so far they have stayed connected and working for 10 days.
    I'm running an Ubiquity AC Outdoor dual band omni-directional; my yard is "L" shape. Over-kill I know but last year frustrated me so much I did not want to leave anything to chance.

If the new modules don't work I'll maybe hack one board to run Shelby's firmware.

Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: RenardESP Guidelines

My google-foo is weak.

Is there a link that can show me how to hack the Bill Porter ESP adaptor board so I can run/program/flash with the Shelby firmware?

Post Thanks / Like

not exactly what you asked for but dirk's esp snapin documentation goes into the difference and how to hack his snapin.
    http://digwdf.com/store/product.php?id_product=198
    should get you started in the right direction. you will have to examine your board and find the traces to cut and solder the right pins to the output

Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: RenardESP Guidelines

Are you using Bill's latest firmware or Shelby's. I ask because I had issues with Bill's and modified my boards to use Shelby's.
    How did you load Shelby's firmware? I tried compiling the GitHub sketch under Arduino and get async_UDP address errors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast