Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Halloween 2017 cutouts

Post Thanks / Like

Default Halloween 2017 cutouts

Halloween is just about here! I've had a major delay this year as I had a very bad knee infection and was laided up for almost the entire month. I haven't been able to do much this year but I did manage to paint a few cutouts. (Still need to be cut when I can physically do it). I do a different theme each year so here's to 2017!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Likes scootchu liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Halloween 2017 cutouts

Very nicely done. What color did use for the flesh? It's very good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeyelights View Post
    Very nicely done. What color did use for the flesh? It's very good.
    It's called Espresso (I added white to it).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

lame Dee thong or is it some other show I don't watch?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeKrebs View Post
    lame Dee thong or is it some other show I don't watch?
    HBO's Game of Thrones.

Post Thanks / Like

Do u find it easier to paint first then cut? Reason I ask is I have some cutouts that I have traced out but havenít cut yet. First time doing this so just curious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yellowdog87 View Post
    Do u find it easier to paint first then cut? Reason I ask is I have some cutouts that I have traced out but havenít cut yet. First time doing this so just curious

I can do it either way. I did these while I was home with an injured knee. I just had surgery and had a picc iv on my arm. I was not able to run the power tools for fear of infection so in this case I could paint for now and cut after the picc was removed. Painting first and then cutting requires you to do touchups after. The picc was removed about two weeks ago so I'll be cutting now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yellowdog87 View Post

Definitely cut before painting. Otherwise youíll be repainting.
    Over the years, Iíve learned to leverage something that professional commercial painters often complain about but to use it to my advantage. If youíve ever been on a construction site and marked something on a raw wall for a cutout or reference or whatever, it you use a sharpie, youíll get a stern reprimand from a painter. Theyíll usually give you a pencil so you never do it again. Why? Because itís a pain in the butt to cover sharpie marks. They have a habit of bleeding thru many layers of paint and are still visible.
    So when I trace cutouts, I use sharpie. It allows me to still see the lines after covering them up. I can use a solid base coat over the whole cutout. Then paint in the details. It takes a good 4-5 coats of latex paint to cover a sharpie mark.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    Definitely cut before painting. Otherwise youíll be repainting.
    Over the years, Iíve learned to leverage something that professional commercial painters often complain about but to use it to my advantage. If youíve ever been on a construction site and marked something on a raw wall for a cutout or reference or whatever, it you use a sharpie, youíll get a stern reprimand from a painter. Theyíll usually give you a pencil so you never do it again. Why? Because itís a pain in the butt to cover sharpie marks. They have a habit of bleeding thru many layers of paint and are still visible.
    So when I trace cutouts, I use sharpie. It allows me to still see the lines after covering them up. I can use a solid base coat over the whole cutout. Then paint in the details. It takes a good 4-5 coats of latex paint to cover a sharpie mark.

Fyi, I use an acrylic paint and not latex. When I mix custom colors only one coat covers sharpies.

Post Thanks / Like

What are u guys using over the final product to give it a waterproof coat? I thought about a clear water seal for decks or something but wasnít sure what the consensus was on that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast