Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Help with basic controller/ps setup (regarding wiring)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    86
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Help with basic controller/ps setup (regarding wiring)

    I'm a newbie to the hobbie, but not to electronics and software.
    I've never run a pixel display, but from what I am reading I am sure I am going to need to do some power injection. I understand wiring of the power supply to the controller (inside the CG-1500), and I understand how I am going to have 16 female 3-wire pigtails coming out of the box from each controller port. What I'm unsure of is how to deal with power injection at this point.
    Let's say I have a couple of fused lines (2-wire? 3-wire?) coming out of the enclosure straight from the power supply (to some sort of pigtail). How do I physically inject that into my scene where I need it? I looking for a solution where the connectors just fit together, without a lot of extra soldering and heat-shrink. I think it would be great to have some kind of 3-2-3 tee that can come out of one prop and into the next, but with the 2-wire connector for power. Also on the power side it would seem like you would need a complete 2-wire tee to be able to connect to the 2-wire prop plug, and be able to continue on for more injection down the line.

    Am I missing something here? I don't see anything on diyledexpress, which is where I've done most of my shopping so far.

    Thanks in advance for any tips!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Lizella, GA
    Posts
    704
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Help with basic controller/ps setup (regarding wiring)

    I think that is what this 3 Wire Tee is, a 3-2-3 tee, best to email Todd for conformation
    Matt 2016, 1st Show

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Help with basic controller/ps setup (regarding wiring)

    I am in the middle of wiring right now and this is what I am using. http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com...ower_Injection

    the tee is interesting because it is 3 - 3 - 3. Data passes thru like you would imagine on a 3-2-3, but the middle of the tee has a gnd (v-) and 2 v+, one for the previous string and one for the next string. This is in case you need to start using another power supply or want to mix different voltage pixels together.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    86
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Help with basic controller/ps setup (regarding wiring)

    Thanks. This is very helpful. I should have looked there first!
    I actually got my multimeter out to figure out the wiring of the tee. So I understand how the tee should work between props.

    What I'm still a bit confused on, based on this diagram, 800px-Pixelpower-injection-150.png, is it appears that the power injection line is being tee'd as well. That would mean running that power through 18 gauge pigtail cables, which will probably often be fine. But is it prudent to run 14 or 12 gauge wire and then splice in the pigtail connectors at intervals?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Lebanon, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    1,819
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Help with basic controller/ps setup (regarding wiring)

    Keep in mind that power injection from the same power supply can be done this way. It gives extra power to both directions at the PI points.
    "Never Give Up. Never Surrender!"
    Capt Tagert - Galaxy Quest.
    Al Gerdes - Christmas Lighting Nut!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    86
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Help with basic controller/ps setup (regarding wiring)

    Quote Originally Posted by algerdes View Post
    Keep in mind that power injection from the same power supply can be done this way. It gives extra power to both directions at the PI points.
    I get this. Let's make a simple example. One power supply, one controller, 10 props spaced 5 feet apart. Do you run multiple power injection feeds from the power supply, or do you run a single power injection feed with tees at several points to feed the props at regular intervals?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Help with basic controller/ps setup (regarding wiring)

    Quote Originally Posted by Smerk View Post
    I get this. Let's make a simple example. One power supply, one controller, 10 props spaced 5 feet apart. Do you run multiple power injection feeds from the power supply, or do you run a single power injection feed with tees at several points to feed the props at regular intervals?
    I was advised by an electrical friend to keep the current below 7.8 amps on each feed from the power supply



    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Lizella, GA
    Posts
    704
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Help with basic controller/ps setup (regarding wiring)

    Quote Originally Posted by Smerk View Post
    I get this. Let's make a simple example. One power supply, one controller, 10 props spaced 5 feet apart. Do you run multiple power injection feeds from the power supply, or do you run a single power injection feed with tees at several points to feed the props at regular intervals?
    Either option is valid, if you have several props in one area, then run a common feed. if they are spread out, run individual feeds. There are several different Power Distrubution boards where you run a feed into the board that then has 5 or 8 fused power connections, you will always want to fuse your PI runs. the most common are 5 or 7 amp, matching the advice from pburton.

    Another option that some use is to run 24v or 36v for their main run and use a buck converter to drop the voltage to 12v or 5v at the PI site. Then you don't have to worry as much if you are going to have the proper voltage at the end of a long PI run.
    Matt 2016, 1st Show

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    86
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Help with basic controller/ps setup (regarding wiring)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruppro View Post
    Either option is valid, if you have several props in one area, then run a common feed. if they are spread out, run individual feeds. There are several different Power Distrubution boards where you run a feed into the board that then has 5 or 8 fused power connections, you will always want to fuse your PI runs. the most common are 5 or 7 amp, matching the advice from pburton.

    Another option that some use is to run 24v or 36v for their main run and use a buck converter to drop the voltage to 12v or 5v at the PI site. Then you don't have to worry as much if you are going to have the proper voltage at the end of a long PI run.
    Great info all, thanks! Can you point me to the power distribution boards?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Lizella, GA
    Posts
    704
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Help with basic controller/ps setup (regarding wiring)

    Quote Originally Posted by Smerk View Post
    Great info all, thanks! Can you point me to the power distribution boards?
    Just 2 off the top of my head, I am sure there are others, even some outside of our hobby

    https://www.pixelcontroller.com/stor...roller=product

    http://renard-shop.com/home/52-dc-is...ion-board.html
    Matt 2016, 1st Show

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •