Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Programming in Vixen 3

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Programming in Vixen 3

I can help with depth. Assume I have a group of mini trees. There are 10 mini trees in the group (each tree is a group of legs). each tree has 10 legs (each leg is a group of pixels), each leg has 10 pixels.

I apply a chase to the top level element called "mini-Trees"

Depth determines: Am I chasing the individual trees (level 0), chasing the legs on the trees (level 1) or chasing the pixels on the legs (level 3).

Those level numbers may be off by one but that is the basic idea.

2017 adding 2 more candy canes, 7 Mid trees and a Halloween show. Removing most 2812 strips and replacing them with bullet pixel mounting strips. Replacing many buck converter waterproof bags with printed boxes.

Post Thanks / Like

I updated the Chase documentation on the website so hopefully that answers your questions.

http://www.vixenlights.com/vixen-3-d...effects/chase/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffu231 View Post
    I updated the Chase documentation on the website so hopefully that answers your questions.

http://www.vixenlights.com/vixen-3-d...effects/chase/
    Thanks. Would it be possible to update all the basic effects. They all need some description and there are a few that are in v3.4 that are missing completely. Up to date documentation will help keep simple questions off the forum.
    Dave
    128 Olsen 595 Vixen controlled channels
    about 30,000 lights

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davdue View Post
    Thanks. Would it be possible to update all the basic effects. They all need some description and there are a few that are in v3.4 that are missing completely. Up to date documentation will help keep simple questions off the forum.
    We have been working on it as we go along. I'll try to get a few more done in the coming week or so.

Post Thanks / Like

The effects are better documented this year than they've ever been. We just haven't gone back to the oldest effects and actually written them up. I guess we spend too much of our time on enhancements and new features.

Anyhow. The pulse parameter controls the shape of the pulses. Chase is just a series of pulses in a progressive pattern across a group of elements. So that pulse curve is how the light intensity ramps up and down over the duration of each pulse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the work you guys do. I'm not complaining at all. It's awesome that we have a software package as great as Vixen. I talk to people all the time that can't believe what we do with lights. I think to myself it really isn't that hard to do thanks to all the work put into software/hardware design by folks like you. For those of us that have been using the V2 platform of Vixen for a long time it is a complete different mindset to program in V3. Thanks for everyone's suggestions and help. I have made a lot of progress on a new song for this year. Just need to complete it and get a few props and controllers built and I will be ready for Thanksgiving week to set up and power up the show.
    Dave
    128 Olsen 595 Vixen controlled channels
    about 30,000 lights

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davdue View Post
    Thanks for all the work you guys do. I'm not complaining at all. It's awesome that we have a software package as great as Vixen. I talk to people all the time that can't believe what we do with lights. I think to myself it really isn't that hard to do thanks to all the work put into software/hardware design by folks like you. For those of us that have been using the V2 platform of Vixen for a long time it is a complete different mindset to program in V3. Thanks for everyone's suggestions and help. I have made a lot of progress on a new song for this year. Just need to complete it and get a few props and controllers built and I will be ready for Thanksgiving week to set up and power up the show.
    I added docs for several more of the basic effects last night. I still have a couple more to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Programming in Vixen 3

Quote Originally Posted by jeffu231 View Post
    I added docs for several more of the basic effects last night. I still have a couple more to do.

One more thing, as you look over those docs and work through the transition, let us know if there is something we could put in the docs to make them clearer or more helpful. Those of us that write the docs are fluent in V3 and we might make assumptions. Your insight could be helpful in filling in the gaps.

Post Thanks / Like

The three new effects still need to be added to the docs pages, so the link within the effect editor to the webpage for these three effects will not work yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Plus if you hover your mouse over the effect property, it will pop up brief description of what it does
    Matt 2016, 1st Show

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12