Thread: How much can you heat up PEX tubing without destroying it???

Post Thanks / Like

Default How much can you heat up PEX tubing without destroying it???

I have 10 foot sections for 1 inch PEX pipe.. (not rolled tubing). I want to bend it into 4 foot wide arches. It bends on its own without kinking. I can bend it to the 4 foot width I want without it kinking but it springs back of course so I tied it in this shape and hit it with the heat gun for about 10 minutes but not too hard. When it had cooled, I untied it... it sprang back to about 6 feet wide. My question is how much can I heat the PEX tube up to have it stay bent without permanently damaging it?

Thanks
    Pierre

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How much can you heat up PEX tubing without destroying it???

i dont have an answer for you but i was trying to straighten some coiled pex.. bolted it up all nice and straight and attacked it with a heat gun on max. let it sit for 24 hours. unbolted it, they were straight enough for me but they slowly got a lot of bend back. that pex gots some serious memory.
    anybody got any tricks?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrDudeMan View Post
    that pex gots some serious memory.
    Darn right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pblais View Post
    I have 10 foot sections for 1 inch PEX pipe.. (not rolled tubing). I want to bend it into 4 foot wide arches. It bends on its own without kinking. I can bend it to the 4 foot width I want without it kinking but it springs back of course so I tied it in this shape and hit it with the heat gun for about 10 minutes but not too hard. When it had cooled, I untied it... it sprang back to about 6 feet wide. My question is how much can I heat the PEX tube up to have it stay bent without permanently damaging it?

Thanks
    Pierre
    Why is it important that it holds it's shape on it's own? Most of us have a brace on the bottom (or stakes in the ground) that we use to hold it up, and these braces/stakes also keep it held in the correct shape.

5. Likes Ruppro liked this post