Thread: Using portable hole for smaller (8-9') tree

Post Thanks / Like

Default Using portable hole for smaller (8-9') tree

I have the materials per the PDF to build the portable hole. However this year I am only planning on having a 8' or so tree (50 nodes @ 2"). Next year I will go high and leverage the crank etc. However my soil is very sandy, so I am looking to still leverage the portable hole, just not sure how I can adapt it for a smaller tree and still use it with my new steel Boscoyo topper. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Using portable hole for smaller (8-9') tree

portable hole is a block of cement with a hole in the middle. make it for next year's pole, figure out how to adapt this years pole to fit either with the base of next years pole or a collar of some kind.
    It sounds like you are going to make ASAP next year so the base of the ASAP will be about right for this year's pole. Just attach the topper to something that will slip in the pole and done!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Using portable hole for smaller (8-9') tree

For an 8ft tree, I have for years pounded a 5ft fence pole in the ground til the flat blade is underground and then put a piece of 2" pvc pipe over the top of it. I have a home made topper made from outdoor plywood that has a toilet flange and other pvc adapers to fit the pole. I have cup hooks screwed into the plywood top. This year that topper will be in its 8th year of use. Every year I add another coat of paint to protect the topper. The picture is from when I used the topper with strips and EMT pipes. I started with incan strings, then LED strings, and currently pixels mounted in Boscoyo mounting strips. I have two other trees that use a JUMP pole and and an ASAP pole.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jim Nealand
    Kennesaw, Ga