Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The cheapest and best way to build arches

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The cheapest and best way to build arches

I've been playing around with some different build techniques for arches... tried the PEX... didn't like the diffused look much... I've also tried regular PVC 1/2 because it is pretty cheap and I've drilled it and used zip ties... Of those two I prefer the drilled. I haven't tried the landscape edging but I have a roll of it here and may try that as well. I have that predrilled version and I think the spacing will be too wide for what I want. (I originally bought it to create "ships" wheels - 6 spokes with an inner circle and an outer circle... but I digress... In the case of my arches I'm using PVC fittings I use a 4 way fitting and "T"s. (both available on Amazon in bulk... couldn't find the 4 ways at the hardware stores) We get quite a bit of wind so I wanted a bit of side to side stability and being able to control how wide you make your base seemed like the best way to do that. Into the 4 way fitting the arch goes into the top, I then use the side holes for my feet connected to a short piece of PVC and a T with the T facing the ground so I can pound a piece of rebar with a bent "u" top to hold it in place. The other hole on the bottom is used for the cross piece that keeps the PVC bent to the arch height I desire. Got one out in the wind (we get lots of wind here on the Oregon Coast) to see how it holds up. Will let you know.

pvcbase2.jpg pvcbase1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

I found cross couplers (the 4-way) easy to find at Home Depot, but a bit expensive. The coupler costs more than the 10' PVC pipe itself.

Wind is exactly the problem I am trying to solve for next year. I need to support 34-foot arches, and 1/2" doesn't cut it.

Post Thanks / Like

I've found the site https://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/ to have really good prices on all sorts of PVC items. Lots cheaper than the big box stores, especially for larger diameter fittings.

Post Thanks / Like

$1.31 for a 3/4" cross coupler. Not bad at all. I agree.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12