Thread: External Pixel Plane Drop limit?

Post Thanks / Like

Default External Pixel Plane Drop limit?

Hey All,

I have a question about dropping an external pixel plane into an HLS sequence.

On my PMT I have 11520 channels (3840 pixels nodes). I've been creating effects in XL/NC, converting to an hlsnc file and dropping them into my HLS sequences. Works like a charm.

This year I was thinking about an upgrade to my PMT to gain a little more resolution and increased the PMT to 15360 channels (5120 pixel nodes). I added the channels to HLS and created a new preview to match. I also added the channels to XL/NC.

After I drop the hlsnc file into the HLS sequence I'm getting some strange things happen. Text, for example, is split up and instead of 1 line running across the PMT I get 4 lines....but with every other strand being skipped....

If I drop an old hlsnc file that has my original setup of only 11520 channels onto my new HLS sequence with the updated HLS Preview the text runs like it should (only due to channel numbers being different the placement on the PMT is lower)....

If I drop an hlsnc file from my new XL/NC setup onto an old HLS sequence using the lower number of channels it once again splits the text up. So I'm pretty sure it's not my new HLS preview that's causing the issue.

I have checked and rechecked to make sure the right numbers are in both sequencers and everything matches.... So, before I pull my hair out trying to find an error that I might have made, I just wanted to check to see if there is some sort of limit on the number of channels one can drop into HLS using the external pixel plane drop method.

Anyone have any insight? I'd appreciate it....

UPDATE: Well...further testing shows it seems to be an XL/NC problem....went back an created a new setup in XL/NC with the same parameters as the old setup that still works and the new one fails with the old channel count numbers.....So just thought I'd report back to keep anyone from using brain cells on a non issue...thanx.
    Last edited by Santacarl; 08-21-2017 at 03:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: External Pixel Plane Drop limit?

Good to see you found your issue Carl .

AE is one solution for external PP effects that I have found works flawlessly .

Post Thanks / Like

I isolated it to NC conversion but I still don't know why it won't work properly.. I've been doing this for several seasons and never had this issue before.... I'm trying some tests to see if I can figure out why all of a sudden this doesn't work.... It is my process to create and if I can't figure it out then I can't expand or change my layout....So I'm trying different variations to see if I can isolate the issue.

I know you like your AE....I keep meaning to explore that avenue but always seem to get sidetracked....

Post Thanks / Like

I have my doubts that the issue is XL/NC .

The team of Folks working on it seem to have perfected it quite some time ago .

I have not used the new ver. 4 So I am 0 help there .

May I suggest you do a simple test ?

Create a brand new dummy sequence with a PMT the size you want .
    Now import your XL/NC effect and see if all plays correctly .

Please post your results if you test this .
    Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angus40 View Post
    I have my doubts that the issue is XL/NC .

The team of Folks working on it seem to have perfected it quite some time ago .

I have not used the new ver. 4 So I am 0 help there .

May I suggest you do a simple test ?

Create a brand new dummy sequence with a PMT the size you want .
    Now import your XL/NC effect and see if all plays correctly .

Please post your results if you test this .
    Cheers
    Thanks Rich....

I tried that 2 or 3 times already..... You are probably right about it not being NC....likely something I've overlooked..... I even went and renamed the file that works for me for conversions.....and it works....but as soon as I add the new pixels....BOOM......up it chucks! I am probably doing something REALLY stupid and just repeating the same mistake every time I try it...... I'm thinking I need to sit it aside for a day and come back and start fresh....maybe I'll catch my error....

UPDATE: Found it!

I found it....or them in this case. When I created a group of universes together in NC for some reason 1 universe was doubled..... Then over on the HLS side of things for some reason 10 pixels out of 5120 were absent....the little buggers were hiding and when I dropped the external PP onto the incomplete tree it went KaBOOM... The 2 problems together were causing much trouble.....heck I have trouble finding 1 problem.... Good thing I'm too dumb to give up.....

Thanks again Rich...for the suggestion....
    Last edited by Santacarl; 08-21-2017 at 11:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Woot .

Good Going Carl .

I think there is an over abundance of factors to consider in this hobby now and micro managing details matter .

It seems if you put aside any aspect of this hobby , even for a couple of weeks you need to re learn a thing or three .

Best of luck with your sequencing .