Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What type of pixels for house outline

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What type of pixels for house outline

Quote Originally Posted by scootchu View Post
    Sometimes the strips make the house look like a 7-11 store.
    Haha yeah that is a valid point. I've seen a few storefronts with strips and it does lose something.

Hmmm come to think of it the strips would be hard to vertical corners when I do an outline of the house structure too.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stallionent View Post
    I replaced all my strips with bullet pixels
    I'll have to read more on how these are mounted then. I saw the bullets and nodes and wasn't clear if they were best left bare or what not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tgunn View Post
    Haha yeah that is a valid point. I've seen a few storefronts with strips and it does lose something.

Hmmm come to think of it the strips would be hard to vertical corners when I do an outline of the house structure too.

Plus as others have noted, they fail more often and it's a lot easier replacing a node than cutting and patching bad pixels in a strip.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I'll have to read more on how these are mounted then. I saw the bullets and nodes and wasn't clear if they were best left bare or what not.

There are several different methods, some drill holes in PVC or "J-Channel" and mount them there, James at Boscoyostudio.com has all different kinds of mounting strips, in different materials, some flexible, others stiff sized for the different kinds of pixels.
    Matt 2016, 1st Show

Post Thanks / Like

I user 1/2 pvc and pvc cl;ips and have my nodes zip tied to the pvc

James WinterHaven Fl

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm this is something I hadn't considered. Looking at some close-ups of the pixel strips I can see how it would be difficult to replace faulty pixels.

What spacing are you going for on the c9s?

Strip is a pain to repair and waterproof, nodes are much easier. I went with Pixabulbs 5" spacing. Kind of second guessing that now... Going from house outline with 10/30 to Pixabulbs will be way less full/bright. I heard the word "Las Vegas" too many times describing my display. Trying to make it look as Christmas as pixels can get

Post Thanks / Like

what software are you using? I'm trying to setup pixels on my rooflines and around my garage door and front door and having some problem getting it to work right in Vixen 3.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you have any luck with figuring out what you are going to use for your roofline. I am also changing my roofline/garage door/front door this year to pixels. I'm trying out 5v square ws2811 smart pixels (All pixels can be any color at any time) this year because the last two years I was using dumb pixels strips (all pixels can be any color however they all have to be the same color at the same time) and they started having a few bad pixels throughout and you can not replace them. I have a mounting system that I made out of 1/2" PVC pipe that I mount the lights to the pipe and then snap the pipes into these custom made brackets that I leave on the house year round. I am having some issues getting them programmed right because I have never used Vixen 3 before and I'm trying to pull away from using LOR software because it is way to restrictive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DJMASTER82 View Post
    Did you have any luck with figuring out what you are going to use for your roofline. I am also changing my roofline/garage door/front door this year to pixels. I'm trying out 5v square ws2811 smart pixels (All pixels can be any color at any time) this year because the last two years I was using dumb pixels strips (all pixels can be any color however they all have to be the same color at the same time) and they started having a few bad pixels throughout and you can not replace them. I have a mounting system that I made out of 1/2" PVC pipe that I mount the lights to the pipe and then snap the pipes into these custom made brackets that I leave on the house year round. I am having some issues getting them programmed right because I have never used Vixen 3 before and I'm trying to pull away from using LOR software because it is way to restrictive.
    I am going with 4 strips of these: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/bull...999.267.CzIQ4N

I've got the controller and a big power supply. I'm just waiting for Ray to ship this order; he's got 5 hrs before the AliExpress auto-cancel takes effect on my order. Must be on vacation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DJMASTER82 View Post
    Btw would be curious to see your mounting technique. I was thinking of something similar for my roof line.

My thought was aluminum flat bars that hook behind the fascia boards.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast