Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What type of pixels for house outline

Post Thanks / Like

Default What type of pixels for house outline

Hey all. This will be my first year diving into pixels for my house. I've always done a traditional static light display but this year wanted to dive into the world of pixels.

I'm looking to start experimenting this year by outlining my roofline with pixel LEDs.

Because I've always done a traditional display with off the shelf led strings my first thought is to use c9 Technicolor pixels with 4" spacing (eg like on RayWus site).

However I'm not used to thinking in terms of the flexibility you get with pixels so perhaps those aren't the best choice (eg higher density gives better resolution).

Ultimately I want something nice and bright.

Figured I'd try and draw some inspiration and insight from those who have been there before.

Since this year it'll only be the roof line I will not sync to music, but I'll definitely use the time to play around with the technology and get used to it.

Looking forward to having fun with this!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What type of pixels for house outline

I would suggest looking at some videos from folks with different lighting on the roofline to give you some idea what to start with. I used ws2811 last year (my first year) and they were very bright. In fact, I turned down the intensity, it was so bright.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    I would suggest looking at some videos from folks with different lighting on the roofline to give you some idea what to start with. I used ws2811 last year (my first year) and they were very bright. In fact, I turned down the intensity, it was so bright.
    I will have to do that. I notice the strip lights have a much higher pixel density. That would definitely have some nice advantages. Never can be too bright! Haha

Post Thanks / Like

For reference all of my pixels are 3" spacing 2811 nodes at 50% brightness.

https://youtu.be/4wWjLiRtz6Q

Post Thanks / Like

this is all subjective some people like nodes some like strips some like pixel bulbs it all depends on what you like the best
    James WinterHaven Fl

Post Thanks / Like

I'm leaning towards strip for the house outline. I can see how other formats like nodes or bullets would be better suited to wrapping around trees or what not. Perhaps I will order a few different types so I can experiment.

Post Thanks / Like

Strip is a pain with much higher failure rates than nodes in my experience. In the process of removing all the strip and replacing with C9 Pixabulbs at the moment. Strip outline is no easy chore for entry level project. Splicing strip and weatherproofing is very time consuming. If you do strip, waterproof, waterproof and waterproof some more. Silicone and heatshrink is your friend. The end result is great but its high maintenance, power hungry stuff. Link to last years display with strip outline on house/windows https://vimeo.com/202135434

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tgunn View Post
    I will have to do that. I notice the strip lights have a much higher pixel density. That would definitely have some nice advantages. Never can be too bright! Haha

Sometimes the strips make the house look like a 7-11 store.

9. Likes Jeff Millard liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I replaced all my strips with bullet pixels

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by uncledan View Post
    Strip is a pain with much higher failure rates than nodes in my experience. In the process of removing all the strip and replacing with C9 Pixabulbs at the moment. Strip outline is no easy chore for entry level project. Splicing strip and weatherproofing is very time consuming. If you do strip, waterproof, waterproof and waterproof some more. Silicone and heatshrink is your friend. The end result is great but its high maintenance, power hungry stuff. Link to last years display with strip outline on house/windows https://vimeo.com/202135434
    Hmm this is something I hadn't considered. Looking at some close-ups of the pixel strips I can see how it would be difficult to replace faulty pixels.

What spacing are you going for on the c9s?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast